cooking tuna in its tin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
https://www.labelleiloise.fr/fr/thon-06

https://www.labelleiloise.fr/fr/sardine-05

https://www.labelleiloise.fr/fr/maquereau-07

There are "La Belle Îloise" shops over here in France, that stock all the different varieties, along with various bits of tat like aprons, dishes, spatulas, etc.

Or should that be spatulae?

74.jpg

Thanks. Unfortunately those aren’t readily available here.

Every normal/ decent supermarket in UK, US and Cayman stocks various fish in Olive oil.
Tastes nice. Costs a bit more though.
Even Cost-U-Less here have them, in packs of 4-6.

Worth trying, they taste better. IMO.

Not sure if I would warm it the way as shown in Post #1, that would be wasting money.

Standard oil should be fine.
Publix doesn’t stock them. Fresh Market doesn’t stock them that I’ve see, although I’ll look again. Those two are the premium stores. Mid level stores include Winn Dixie, Albertsons, H.E.B., and Albertsons. None of them stock it. “Normal” stores include Walmart, Piggly Wiggly, and Pick & Save. They also don’t carry them. At least not on the ordinary aisles. I’ll try looking on the international aisle next time for some of the ones KB suggested though.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
No, they should be in the 'normal' aisle.
I will look and memorize the brands when I go shopping tonight. Then post.

But to be frank, the taste increase is very small, the price increase a bit.
I prefer them only as I am a bit paranoid eating Soy and soy products.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Can you buy Wild caugt Organic Sardines in Spring water?
The tin sits in a brown paper wrapping.

Do not buy it.
All Sardines are 'wild caught'
All Sardines are Organic
Spring water is purified tap water
The outside packaging is ridiculous, it is white paper coloured brown to look more "Earth friendly"

Clayze

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2018
West Sussex
I'd read somewhere on the web that Oritz tuna was pretty decent but rather expensive. If the prices on Amazon are typical then expensive might well be considered an understatement!!

Quite an attractive design on the can though.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Canada cans Tuna. Very, very nice quality. The vast majority of the rest is canned in SE Asia.

Portugal, Baltic republics and Poland can nice sardines. ( Brisling in Poland - same taste)

King Oscar canned "fishies" are by far the best of the best. So tasty you lick the can, and do not mind cutting your tongue!

Their canned Cods Liver and canned Cods Roe - delicacy I take with me from Norway.
The Security checks at airports love that.

I had a patient in UK that was the QC person checking the canned fish production in SE Asia for that specific UK brand.
He did not eat canned tuna.

( I did work experience in a sausage factory in Sweden. It was several years before my lips touched anything meaty in a casing, sausages, frankfurters, hot cats, you name it.
And I love stuff like kidneys, liver, tripe, so you can imagine.....

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I did have a look round this afternoon while shopping at tha commissary on base. I did find King Oscar packed in olive oil. Everything they packed: sardines, smoked oyster, fish fillets; but no tuna. I also found another brand, La Serena, sardines packed in olive oil on the Mexican aisle. I was successful in finding a single brand of tuna packed in olive oil, Genova.

As Jane said though, they were all priced dearly by comparison. I didn’t buy any for,myself today although I did get a can of th King Oscar sardines for my daughter. She’s celiac and Crohn’s disease and needs a treat at the moment. I’l get myself a sampling next week.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Stupid me forgot to chrck the brands..

Anyway.
The King Oscar is a premiun Norwegian brand. They mainly use fish caught around Scandinavia.

They have different tuna cannings, but only for certain markets.
As the Swedish/Norwegian king Oscar preferred their products, they became suppliers to his court.
Very unusual in those days I have read.

Their Sardines in Tomato sauce are fantastic.
Mackerel in tomato too. It is made using the mackerel common around northern Europe, not the other, coarse fleshed mackerel .
Enjoy!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was in town this afternoon, and called in at the grocery shop. Another brand: les mouettes de d'Arvor has not quite as many varieties of sardines as La Belle Îloise, but still quite a few packed in extra virgin olive oil, at around €3.55 a can.
That sounds good, but dear. Average price for a can of sardines here is aroun $1 a can. The premium brands about double that.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Food is costly in Europe. Specially in Norway
And here....

You should stand behind a newly arived US tourist in the supermarket checkout and hear what they say!

A can of cheapest Sardines is around 2 USD here. In the ‘Filipino ethnic’ aisle.
The content is kind of ok, but you can not compared to more quality can ned fish.
Same with mackerel, tuna and the rest.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Food is costly in Europe. Specially in Norway
And here....

You should stand behind a newly arived US tourist in the supermarket checkout and hear what they say!

A can of cheapest Sardines is around 2 USD here. In the ‘Filipino ethnic’ aisle.
The content is kind of ok, but you can not compared to more quality can ned fish.
Same with mackerel, tuna and the rest.
The ones on the ethnic aisles are a bit more expensive here than the ones on the canned meat aisle for like quality.

We have a shop in Collioure that sells only tinned sardines. The variety and price range is astounding.

We eat a lot of sardines: we buy ours at the supermarket.
I quite like them too.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You got me = Sunday dinner will be curried tuna on toast.
1. Sweat some fine dice onion and garlic in oil.
2. Add the curry of your choice and fry.
3. Add a couple tbsp plain flour (more oil?) and cook to a good bubble.
4. Off the heat, slowly whisk in enough milk to make it gravy-like.
5. Shake in a good glug of Worcestershire sauce. Make some dry toast (rice is OK)
6. Fold in all the cooked fishy stuff you like and reheat to a good simmer.
7. Dump it all out over dry toast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE