cooking tuna in its tin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I've heard of the fermented herring. And I have to ask Why !!??
It sounds like torture to me

I'd give surströmming or lutefisk a try. I was hoping to try hákarl when I was up in Iceland a couple of weeks ago, but never saw it in restaurants or in the one supermarket I went in (Bónus).

When lived in the US, it was in a region with a big Korean population, and I often used to go in the Han Yang supermarket. Once time, there were a few different varieties of jeot for sale, so I got a small tub of each to try. It's best not eaten by the spoonful on its own, the taste is far too strong. Better to use a small amount of it to add flavour to a bland kimchi or to boiled plain rice.

Reactions: sandbag47

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Lut fisk anybody can eat and enjoy. Very bland flavour, it is what is eaten with it that gives the flavour. The Jello like consistency might tutn off some prople though.
Surströmming on the other hand, that is sn acquired taste.

Slightly salty, yeasty flavour. Pungent aroma.

Tuna: as it has been boiled in over 100C, the plastic lining has already leached out whatever leached out, at the manufacture.
A warming will not change anything.
Some have a white plastic liner, some a see through.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I’m like Sandbag; I’ve never seen any lining either, and I’ve eaten quite a bit of canned tuna. That said, I’ve only ever eaten three brands that I can remember: 1) Chicken Of The Sea, 2) Bumblebee, and 3) Starkist.

Clayze

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2018
West Sussex
From what I gather from a brief Google this morning, the majority of can's have a very thin coating of an epoxy of some sort within.
Having said that I'm quite happy to heat, warm, barbecue or partially cook my tin of tuna without fear of impending death ;) Living in a rather densely populated part of the U.K. It might be quiet interesting to see what passers-by make of a grown man apparently trying to set fire to a tin of tuna with a wad of toilet tissue.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, ‘Snake of the swamp’ tuna ( solid Albacore in oil) has some kind of laquer insude. Does not flake off easily when I dented the can.
The tuna was nice, not as dry as I remembered!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Many people think that when a can is dented, you can not eat the content.
Taste it. Tastes fine = is perfectly fine.

You will know when the metal has tainted the food, I guarantee that!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Definitely in oil! You can use the oil in a lovely salad dressing to go with the tuna salad. Why waste it?. I agree i with janne in water makes it dry. Oil keeps it succulent. More calories too.

Reactions: Herman30

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have had the sardines packed in tomato sauce as you describe, with or without jalapeños. Also in mustard. But I’ve never seen tuna other than in water or soya oil nor have I ever seen sardines in olive oil. If they exist I’d certainly like to have some. What brands have you found?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Right now, I have Ocean's and Clover Leaf brands of Skipjack tuna in water. Same for crab meat.
Just a gentle reheat to steaming is enough for me.
I found a tin of Anchovy fillets packed in olive oil. Dried Roma tomato in herbed olive oil is wonderful.

I like smoked mussels and smoked oysters (I'm out) and I can't remember what oil they're packed in.
Those are quite appealing when well drained, unlike tuna in oil.
I have not had sardines in tomato sauce for maybe 25+ years?
Used to be a treat with sliced onion in sandwiches with a beer..

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I have had the sardines packed in tomato sauce as you describe, with or without jalapeños. Also in mustard. But I’ve never seen tuna other than in water or soya oil nor have I ever seen sardines in olive oil. If they exist I’d certainly like to have some. What brands have you found?

https://www.labelleiloise.fr/fr/thon-06

https://www.labelleiloise.fr/fr/sardine-05

https://www.labelleiloise.fr/fr/maquereau-07

There are "La Belle Îloise" shops over here in France, that stock all the different varieties, along with various bits of tat like aprons, dishes, spatulas, etc.

Or should that be spatulae?

74.jpg

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Every normal/ decent supermarket in UK, US and Cayman stocks various fish in Olive oil.
Tastes nice. Costs a bit more though.
Even Cost-U-Less here have them, in packs of 4-6.

Worth trying, they taste better. IMO.

Not sure if I would warm it the way as shown in Post #1, that would be wasting money.

Standard oil should be fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE