Cooking Plantain Seeds (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
After some suggestions from Toddy in a previous thread, I have been doing some experimentation with plantain seeds this afternoon.

A few weeks ago I found what must have been thousands of broad leaved plantains and remembered that the seeds were supposed to be edible. This is the common plant that has seed heads that look like rat tails (hence once of its common names rats-tail plantain).

plantain_01.jpg

There are usually a number of seed head per plant, typically 6"-12"long.

plantain_02.jpg

The leaves have pretty much died off by now (late October) but the plant is still easily recognisable.

plantain_03.jpg

I stripped the seeds off by hand, in situ, but you may want to cut off the seed heads and take them home to dry out a bit before stripping the seeds. I got a blister after collecting this lot!

plantain_04.jpg

One of the suggested methods of separating the seeds from the chaff it to parch the seeds (scorch them over an open flame so that the seed casings burn up), but I didn't have the means to do this so I tried gravity separation: putting batches of the gathered heads into a bowl of water - the seeds sink, while the chaff floats. This was fairly laborious and there were still quite a number of seeds mixed in with the chaff.

plantain_05.jpg

I ended up with a reasonable number of seeds, and the chaff.

plantain_06.jpg

You can see here that some of the seed casings still contain seeds.

plantain_07.jpg

Once drained off, I was left with a mass of sticky seeds (be warned - these seeds will get everywhere!).

plantain_08.jpg

I tried Toddy's suggestion of a cous-cous equivalent - simmering the seeds in water for about 8 minutes.

plantain_09.jpg

The result was a sort of unappetising looking porridge. The reason I say porridge is that the texture and taste was non dissimilar to porridge made with water - a glutinous, slightly sweet mass...and it did taste and feel like food. I'd certainly prefer to add some flavouring to it, or use it to bulk out a stew or something similar but it was OK.

plantain_10.jpg

Gathering the seeds was pretty easy and didn't take too much time, though it was a bit of effort to separate them from the chaff and I did lose a fair number of seeds remaining with the chaff. However, given the ease of gathering and the abundance of the plants, this doesn't seem too much of a problem.

Gordon Hillman suggests making a bannock from the flour - so the next job is to dry the seeds and try grinding them. The other thing I'd like to know is whether you can just cook up the seeds and chaff together (e.g. as a wayside snack if you don't have the means to separate out the seeds and chaff).

Geoff

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
what a great thread! looks like you worked hard for your food but the end result does look pretty good. Maybe adding some honey to the seed porridge would be nice! I can imagine that being a very filling and wholesome meal!

I also like your idea of using water to seperate the seed from the chaff! very ingenious!

Cant wait to see the plantain bannock!

:You_Rock_

Jon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You have been busy :D Nice one. Impressive.
I eat the stuff but never gathered so much. I get impatient and munch the seed while they're still green.

Might be worth a try to *winnow* the seed. Put it into a cloth bag or a hankie or the like and rummel it around a bit; that ought to help seperate the seed from the husks. Pour the seeds through your hands (over a bit of cloth or paper or a big bowl) and blow gently; that'll remove a lot of the chaff too, leaving the heavier seeds behind.

cheers,
Toddy

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I had wondered about dry winnowing, but I gathered the seeds today on a very rainy day, so they were pretty wet to start with and I was too impatient to let them dry out! Maybe next time I'll try and get them on a dry day - though that is probably going to have to be next year.

Interesting, Toddy, that you can eat the green seeds. I presume that when you mention winnowing, you are talking about the ripe seeds.

With this being the first time I had gathered plantain I didn't have any idea of what return I would get so I think I over-picked - hence the fairly large amount - and the blister (which stung a lot when I was peeling potatoes this evening - ouch!).

Geoff

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
The leaves are edible as are the seed the leaves are also good for there healing properties wrap the washed leaf around wounds

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can you eat the whole stalk or just the stripped seeds? It does look a fairly involved
process but I bet it's quite fun. Might have to try that.

Seems to have laxative properties though, if this is the same thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago

It's really more of a swelling/ softening of the stool type, rather than a get you a toilet in a hurry type though :D Think of it like eating roughage that really cleans out your bowels without any looseness. Basically, it's good for you, like porage :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That looks really fasinating, thanks for sharing dgcalvert.

I tried a first nation reciepe for the leaves back in the summer and it was nasty, but the seed looks alot more appetising. I might be temped to add butter and herbs to the porrage. Looks like a tasty wholesome ingreadant from a common plant.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
You can also eat the roots. They're very small and wiry with several strands per plant. Wash off all the mud cook in scorching hot fat to make little crispy nibbles. Of course gather conservatively and far and wide.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
In response to some of the comments.

Plantain is, IMHO, one of those weeds that ranks alongside dandelion and daisy as one of the commonest weeds in Britain. Having said that, I don't remember ever seeing such a luxuriant and prolific growth as the one where I gathered yesterday. I'd say that its typical habitat is pathways, waste ground, playing fields. It is said that the North American Indians called it White Mans' Footprint, because it seems that however hard you treat it (e.g. treading on it on footpaths) the better it grows. It is that plant that many children will have played with - picking the fairly large oval leaves and peeling the prominent veins out from the back of the leaf. Its close relation, ribwort plantain, has much longer more lanceolate leaves and carries its smaller seed heads (not dissimilar to the size of a large baked bean) on long slender stems. Best thing if you want to know what it looks like is to go to Google.

Credit where credit is due - Toddy gave me the idea for the porridge. :thanks:

If you want to try winnowing the seed, then I'd suggest gathering the stems or seeds on a dry day and making sure that the are really dry before trying to winnow them. The seeds are incredibly sticky when damp - I'm pretty sure that they have some sort of mucus coating that is sticky when damp, so they will stick to animals' feet and help spread the seed. I'm still drying the seeds that I separated using the "water method" so that I can try grinding them for bannock /damper but they have glued themselves together on the baking tray!

I realised overnight that the water /gravity method is possibly an ideal method for a wayside snack. Strip the seeds into your crusader mug, stir them around a bit to dislodge the seeds from the casings, add water and stir around again, leave to settle for a few minutes, decant off most of the water (taking the chaff with it) then boil up to make the porridge. As Toddy pointed out to me it doesn't really matter if you have some of the chaff in the mix - it's just like having bran in your flour. When you've done it once, you realise that the process isn't that involved - especially if you are only making up a small amount.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
As promised, here's the next stage - plantain seed damper.

After the water separation of the seeds from the chaff, I let them dry for a couple of days, but they glued themselves together into a hard mass on the baking sheet!

plantain_11.jpg

So I broke them up and tried to grind them using my pestle and mortar, but the seeds are so small this didn't work well. I then tried to grind them in a coffee grinder, but the seeds still remained whole...

plantain_12.jpg

...so I just mixed them up with some water and made a 'cake'. RM would have used wild leaves and nettle string, but I had foil.

plantain_13.jpg

So I wrapped it up tightly and cooked in in the oven at Mark 6 for 20 minutes.

plantain_14.jpg

And this is what came out - a little hard loaf or biscuit.

plantain_15.jpg

It smelled and tasted not dissimilar to German black bread - but was a bit dry and some butter helped it to go down.

plantain_16.jpg

You can see that the seeds are still whole - I'm wondering if longer slower cooking would break them open. I'm not sure how much nutrition you would get from them if the cases have not broken open (i.e. would they just go through your system undigested). But, as for the porridge, it tasted and felt like food. The porridge was a lot easier to make, but a damper could perhaps be carried as a simple trail food.

Geoff

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I suspect that whatever makes the seed coat swell up and become sticky is a starchy stuff that is nutritious. If the seed is like most others it'll be oilier, still nutritious but it's the starving on rabbits scenario; too much effort for too little gain; to grind them down.

Now, dockens........:D

cheers,
Toddy

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks, Toddy, I was hoping for some comments from you! It was interesting to do some experimentation, but now it's all done I think that, for return on effort, I'd be going for the porridge option with some flavouring. The seeds can easily be gathered into a crusader cup (or similar), separated out from the chaff using water, and then just boiled up. Probably no more than about 10 minutes' work to gather the seeds and separate the chaff, with a bit more time sitting around while it boils up.

Now, do you want to tell me all about dockens :) ...I presume you mean what we English call docks.

Geoff

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Seriously, that was an awfully good review, have lots of virtual rep points :D :You_Rock_

A long time ago someone posted a link to a site that gave the calorific and nutritional values of wild foods; wonder if anyone recalls where?

Dockens/ Dock/ Doakens hang about with their seeds a while longer than many plants, and they're edible and again a common weed.
There's a huge temptation sometimes to scatter seeds, not from something posh and gardeny but for usefuls, like fat hen, wood millet and the like along the road sides instead of seeing that toxic ragwort stuff.

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I harvested some ribwort plantain seeds to see if they tasted the same as the plantain you cover does. They bigger and a bit more bitter, so i thought I would hit the net so see if they needed soaking or stuff doing with them.

And I found this

I got some sheep sorrel seeds {well they are a type of dock??] I will have to work out how to get the seed casings off. But somethings can only be learned from experiance [and listening to toddy]

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I found a bunch of these today, but, they were growing alongside the path iof a very well known dog walking trail. I think I'll give it a miss! They were bone dry though, and simply rubbing the seeds in the hands tended to make the chaff and seed seperate. That is, if I got the right thing! The seeds were very small, maybe a millimetre long? Shiny brown and tear drop shaped. I reckon if you banged a few handfuls in your bannock mix, you could get a good bread with a bit of texture to it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE