Bullfinch on brambles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I thought this would be worth its own thread as its a nice picture, if a little out of focus as its taken through our lounge window.

It's a male bullfinch, sitting about 1m away from the window feeding on the seeds in the brambles I've left (note the seeds in his beak). It does make the garden look a tad scruffy but the number of times we've seen the finches on the old, shriveled, seed heads it's worth doing.

bullfinch.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They are, rather.

I recall the first time I saw one in the garden. `what is that exotic bird?`

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
They seem to love our unkempt honeysuckle bushes for the same reason. I think they’re the only birds capable of cracking the honeysuckle seeds. We get a few pairs each year. They are an exotic flash of colour in a dour winter garden scape, especially the square of white at the top of their tails which contrasts so well with the blacker hindquarters.

Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We have at least two pairs and you often see Mr & Mrs Bullfinch close by even at this time of the year. The photo doesn't quite capture the richness of his pink tummy, or the colour as it's a bit more salmon. I also think the black head and grey back is also quite a vivid colour.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not to brag, but we get them everyday at this time of year :)

They strip the cherry trees of leaf and blossom bud - our Prunus Nigra is bare of leaf and blossom most of the year and I think in over twenty years I've had one plum-cherry. But I still wouldn't be without the Bullfinches - a glorious, almost tropical, splash of colour :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Not to brag, but we get them everyday at this time of year :)
We had a pair of peregrines over the house today as well...

We've had an quite a few interesting birds in the garden this week, mainly down to the snow and ice. Interesting to see but I'm happier knowing they are simply about the place rather than just in our garden.

Seeing the redwings, fieldfares, thrushes etc on the remaining hawthorn berries is also nice but reminds me jus how bad the farming practices are around here of flailing everything in sight at the start of autumn.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
They seem to love our unkempt honeysuckle bushes for the same reason. I think they’re the only birds capable of cracking the honeysuckle seeds. We get a few pairs each year. They are an exotic flash of colour in a dour winter garden scape, especially the square of white at the top of their tails which contrasts so well with the blacker hindquarters.
Interesting comments about the honeysuckle , we have loads of that in our 'unkempt' hedges. (Speaking of which, Wiki says they prefer hedges "preferably more than four metres tall and wide" to breed in).

Here's a pic of his tail as well:

bullfinch3.jpg

Reactions: birchwood and SaraR

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We had a pair of peregrines over the house today as well...

That's a great sighting :) - Mmmm... just wondering, does a Goshawk trump a Peregrine? Maybe we need to create a hierarchy of birds :) (nobody from North of the Scottish border can participate with your Golden and White Tailed eagles etc. :)).

Only joking, truth be told, when one really looks closely, they're all exquisite - the tortoiseshell markings of a Dunnock, the iridescence of a Starling, the almost dayglow green of the Green Woodpecker - I love them all :)

Reactions: henchy3rd

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I thought this would be worth its own thread as its a nice picture, if a little out of focus as its taken through our lounge window.

It's a male bullfinch, sitting about 1m away from the window feeding on the seeds in the brambles I've left (note the seeds in his beak). It does make the garden look a tad scruffy but the number of times we've seen the finches on the old, shriveled, seed heads it's worth doing.

View attachment 77265
That is a STUNNING image - well done!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Does a hoopoe trump a hawk?

I tend to miss birds that were common a few years ago. We get a good range of birds around here but I've not seen a greenfinch for years and miss them.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

I tend to miss birds that were common a few years ago. We get a good range of birds around here but I've not seen a greenfinch for years and miss them.
Here we get half a dozen goldfinches - a beautiful song. I'm thrilled by seeing breeding egrets (lesser & great) even though they are far from rare now

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

I've never seen a Hoopoe so, I guess, it would for me :)

We used to get Greenfinches but, sadly, none since the start of Trichomonosis - strangely, we still get loads of Chaffinches though.

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
Years ago I used to do a bit of bird ringing, we would get the occasional Bullfinch and they were possibly the easiest most pleasant bird to handle. They would just relax and let you get on with it, staring up at you with their beak open. Just as well as I bet they could give you a fair nip if they wanted!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE