conversions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
When the weather is cold we are pessimistic so Celsius ie 2c (35.6F) degrees. When it is hot we are optimistic so Fahrenheit ie 95f (35C) degrees. seems the way it works

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter

Unless it's a US pint. Then it weighs a pound; which inspired the (incorrect) saying, "A pint's a pound the world around" used by cooks to know how much ice to add that will equal a pint when it melts.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. So you're going to stop at ther pub later for a 1/2 liter?
based on

On a serious note; does anyone know why one system is paired with metric? It's not like temperature is based on a "meter" or on a "gram." I know Centigrade is based on the freezing/boiling points for water (no idea really what Farenheight is based) on but I honestly don't see how that's really relevent to the metric system as such. Seems like a more apt system for scientific purposes (usually dependent on metric) would be the "absolute" system (Kelvin) which is based on "absolute" zero (the total absence of any heat) at which all molecular activity ceases.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Kelvin is the scientific standard. Fahrenheit is based on blood temperature, I think.

As you said, Centigrade/Celsius is based on the boiling point/freezing point of water, although seeing as those change depending on pressure it's slightly arbitrary.

Give a man 0.0254m and he'll take 1,609.344m

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Kelvin is the scientific standard. Fahrenheit is based on blood temperature, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit#History

As you said, Centigrade/Celsius is based on the boiling point/freezing point of water, although seeing as those change depending on pressure it's slightly arbitrary.

The pressures are specified in the definitions.

Celsius is the temperature scale, centigrade just means something that has 100 divisions although people do use it to mean a Celsius temperature..

Give a man 0.0254m and he'll take 1,609.344m

:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I think you'll find on the Continent, beer is served in 250ml and 500ml volumes... :D

I know, ive spent more than my fair share of time out in Europe, but over here we go to the Pub for a pint which is .57L not 500ml:rolleyes:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Dunno, dont drink in pubs, too expensive, about the only place i do have bevvie is around the fire with you guys these days, so i'll bring some measuring jugs next time out and see if you lot serve up short measures:)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You were sorely missed at the last meet. We did actually do some bushcraft (I did some forging, ropework & carving). I tend to bring sloe gin & I'd be impressed if you could drink a pint of that (or even 500ml)!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You were sorely missed at the last meet. We did actually do some bushcraft (I did some forging, ropework & carving). I tend to bring sloe gin & I'd be impressed if you could drink a pint of that (or even 500ml)!

I would have rather been at Ashdown with you guys than at the show i did, was a bit slow, still i came out of it with a few more pennies than i went in with, so not all bad.

I'll swap you some of my Blackberry Gin for your Sloe at the June meet which is the next one im at, and we can compare the alcohol content:D

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I qualified as a teacher in 1969. My first boss said, "Don't teach any thing other than metric measurements and decimal money, because by the time these children grow up all other units will be past history." My first pupils will now be in their fifties and here we are still converting. What a waste of time and effort. By the way, mine's a pint!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE