conversions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

entropydog

May 14, 2010
derby
Thought this might be of use to someone. An easy to convert temperature not sure how accurate it is but its easy to remember.

1. [FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]
    [*]Take the temperature in Celsius and multiply 1.8.
    [*]Add 32 degrees.
    [*]The result is degrees Fahrenheit. Does any one know of any other easy to remember conversions. I usualy have it in my head when they give out temperature warnings..
    [/FONT]

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually the formula you've given is EXACTLY accurate.

The formula as taught in school: C x 9/5 + 32 = F

9/5 = 1.8 therefore it's the same formula digitalized.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've never understood farenheit, so I don't really understand why anyone would want to covert from celsius to farenheit in the first place.

If I ask the question, what temperature does water boil at? everyone answers 100 degrees. Celsius. When does it freeze? 0 degrees. Celsius. Easy to remember, easy to use.

But then, I'm a metric boy. Others may differ, as is their right.

The UK went metric in 1971, but most of the population seems not to have noticed. :rolleyes:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
we went SI not every thing uses Metric in UK ie Pipe threads are still BSP and BSPT which is imperial etc

and the USA are still under the Imperial Rule(r) ;)

Thanks for the correction in your other post.

England (and any country that converts to metric) will likely stay on standard measures for pipe threads for some time I would think. Otherwis you'd have to re-plumb every building already in existance.

Ironicly the US came very close to going metric in the late 1780s (shortly after independence) but decided against it because England was still our most important trading partner and it wasn't metric. In theory we DID go metric in the late 1970s but the general population REFUSES to except it so it's a non starter.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
quite a timely thread for me this one, only yesterday i was telling Gemma that i wish i knew a quick and simple way of converting between the two. i'm firmly in the celcius camp, old money means nothing to me when it comes to temperature. "double it and add thirty" seems like a fairly reasonable way to go about it.

so if it's -10F then...........?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The double it and add thirty tip must only work at lower Celsius figures but is handy for working out the weather temperature.

100 degrees C would be 230 degrees Fahrenheit by that tip, 18 degrees F out?

Steve.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you have a thermometer that's marked in both Celsius and Fahrenheit you can just read it off. With current computer tools it's childsplay to make and print such a scale to any desired, er, degree of accuracy.

On the Fahrenheit scale, water boils at 212 degrees and freezes at 32 degrees. In Celsius it's 100 and 0 as has been noted. So there are 180 degrees F for every 100 degrees C which is where the 1.8 comes from. When the C scale says zero the F scale says 32, so take off 32 and divide by 1.8 converts F to C.

Both scales say the same at -40.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE