Confessions of a bushcrafter with many other interests

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Over the past few years as my interest in bushcraft grew so did my hobbies got more and more related to this main hobby that combines it all. At the moment I spend most of my free time wood carving, reading, exploring/camping I do love my aquarium but i spent too much time on this forum! It's addictive! :) I hope when snow melts to start blade making too (my forge is outside)...

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I'll admit to being a model railway enthusiast, I started with Hornby OO gauge, then drifted to an interest in live steam garden railways (don't have one though), and through making making model buildings and things for that I have started making doll's house accessories.
Other interests are reading, cycling and dog-walking.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i like making and repairing stuff. tools, especially axes, makeing new handles etc.
i also like mechanical things, when i was a kid i used to take lawn mowers apart and tinkler with engines. this hobby has been renewed after needing a chainsaw for work but not being able to afford one so now repairing and tinkering with them has become a hobby:) (as well as savng me a fortune)
sometime i want to get myself an old series land rover to tinker with and also for off roading but insurance prices are holding me back:(
i like canoeing too and hope to do it on a more regular basis after i have finished making my own out of plywood:)

pete

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
annother hobby i forgot is bonsai and cacti and succulent plants, something very pleasing about watching them grow and propergating new plants from cuttings.

pete

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Canoeing
Hill-walking
Pressure Stoves and Lanterns
Guitars (Acoustic, Electric, Bass)
Field Archery
Vintage Fountain Pens
Land Rovers
Porsches
Mk 2 Golf GTIs
Scalextric !

NS

Last edited:

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Snowboarding, Kayaking, playing guitar, listening to music/going to gigs, Climbing/Bouldering, Riding my mountain bike, Hiking/Scrambling, Playing PC games, Reading. The list goes on a bit really, but those are my main hobbys.

Need less to say I'm a student with a lot of spare time...

Last edited:

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
Bird watching, Photography, kite flying, Juggling although I used to be a semi-pro performer so haven't really kept that up much since I stopped performing. Reading, archery, lots of playing jazz sax. reading photography, jazz sax and bushcraft forums (too bloody much really) and now I'm contemplating buying a Land Rover so that will probably get added to the list, and spending lots of time with my two grandsons.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My first passion is angling for carp then barbel closely followed buy the rebuild of my vw van. My bushy practise I fit in along with my fishing which also leads me into some photography which I wish I was better at. Above all that is my lovely wife and daughter who help and encourage all my (sometimes stupid) ventures.

harrisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Alfreton, Derbyshire
My hobbies are greenlaning, photography and got some fishing tackle I keep meaning to use:D
Wouldnt mind a cheap/free canadian canoe that needs some work too (cant afford to buy a decent one).

Conrad81

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Edinburgh
Reading fiction mainly sci-fi
Military history
riding bikes and scuba diving when I have the time
Golf - although I havent played in a while
keen interest in Space exploration and future technology
on the other side of the coin I enjoy learning and crafting Primitive technology.

nunzionuk

I like reading, mostly Sci-Fi, paintballing (tho its been over a year since my last game, the team moved to Stoke :( ), computers (mainly work and games World of Warcraft mostly at the mo), spending time with my kids, and trying to get fitter.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
A fair bit of time spare time is taken up by the family and the dog. My hobbies are boxing (both watching, training and participating), running, weight training and general all round fitness, reading, boxing, sleeping and of course boxing.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Spare time.... Not sure what that is. I'm always busy doing one thing or another. I'm into outdoor pursuits mostly hill walking at the moment. Like diving, riding my motor bike, photography, war gaming. Started carving recently, really want to make a knife. Got to fit all that around a wife and work lol.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Where do I start?
Curent Hobbies:
1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1 T-bar
1993 Honda Transalp 600
Paranormal investigator
17th Century re-enactor (used to do medieval a few years back)
Fencing
HFT Air rifle
Reading
BCUK

Hobbies i used to do:
Systema
Krav Maga
Judo
Kayaking
Rock Climbing
Airsoft
Medievil re-enactment
Longbow Archery
Air Cadet Instructor
Bass guitar

Last edited:

Balanophage

Apr 11, 2011
UK
www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk
Paranormal investigator
Ooh, that's always something I've wanted to have a go at - do you do it as part of a group, or did you just decide to do it off your own bat?

I spend waaay too much time in front of a computer these days... don't have an allotment or big garden any more, so my major forays into veg production have stopped. Mainly I do craft stuff - spinning, dyeing, knitting, weaving (tablet and rigid heddle) and leatherwork are the main things, but I promised the other half a utility kilt last year which he keeps dropping large hints about! :) I'm also a volunteer footpath warden for Kent, so that'll be taking more time now the good weather's here again. And at some point it'd be nice to get back to historical re-enactment - I was a Viking for a few years, which was great fun.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I just prefer to spend my time outside. I walk a lot and do challenge walks and tick off hills (but I'm getting over that very soon). I like to walk long distances and walk fast over hills. I like to wildcamp too. I have been getting back into cycling too and am thinking of taking my ancient steel framed road bike time trialling this year. Looking at what you lot do makes me think two things...a) how do you find time? and b) I am wasting my evenings during the week by not doing something else.

One thing though I have kind of dropped out of more activities over the years. Used to do Ju-jitsu (and on training courses we did AIkido, Judo, Ninjitsu, Karate and some other things depending on the instructors who turned up for the biannual training day). Also tried Tae Kwan Do but didn't get on with it as it messed up my recently broken hand. I read (doesn't everyone) and watch tv (waste of time I know but when I come in from walks I need to relax).

I used to orienteer. I drop in and out of whitewater kayaking. This was my main passion once and I sometimes think it saved me. I got into a really good crowd too and we got good together. There is nothing better than dropping off a 25 foot waterfall and surviving!! Doing two rivers one day, finishing at 1pm and spending the rest of the day in a drinking club then doing another two rivers on the next day (sunday) finishing slightly in the dark because of the late finish the night before and lte start it caused. That is how a good weekend used to run for me.

I used to climb and tried to get back into it recently but I have too little time to devote to it.

I'd love to be able to draw but chicken out of a course. I only want to be able to roughsketch buildings and perhaps give the feel of a view. I will have to try one daybut I know I'll fail as I am about as artistic as brick (ignore all brick based modern art when reading this analogy).

I also go out with friends (from various groups I'm in).

As you can see I am basically very lazy apart from my weekends which I devote a lot of time to getting out in the hills (Lakes mostly). DO want to learn more bushcraft this year. Might have to try a meet if that's ok.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE