Condensed milk and cream

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Bushcrafter’s second best friend, condensed milk!

Or if you are a connoseur, condensed cream!

I love condensed milk. A tin, cut two opposing holes, a larger one and a small one, a nice small intense fire, and sip away!
Good in both tea and coffee too, even if I personally drink my hot beverages milk free when in civilisation.

I have a sweet tooth, and it demands sweet things when I am in the care of Mother Nature!
I put it in my coffee or tea, on on porridge. Nice also on the fruit ‘soups’ we like in Scandinavia. Apple, or the classic Rosehip, Billberry.
Those are dry powders, you mix with cold water, heat up, a dab
Here in the shops we have a huge selection of sweetened condensed milks. Most in the classic tin, but Nestle makes one in a very practical plastic squeeze bottle. No drips, no mess, a perfect seal!

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The Missus makes the most delicious ice-cream using condensed milk!
I used to love it on tinned fruit when I was a kid but confess, other than in the afore-mentioned ice-cream, can't stand it now :)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
My dad tried to get me into this stuff when I was a kid. He swore it was the best thing ever but I couldn't stand it. I always put it down to him being a war baby or something. :rolleyes:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Also, if you boil the unopened tin for a time, you het something the spanish speaking people call Dulche de Leche.
Caramel?

But, as it is a very common ingredient here, we can buy it ready made.

Nestle brand is the milkest/ nicest.

Yes, I think us who went through the war ( my parents) or lived through the childhood under the tender, loving care of Big Brother Soviet Union, it does bring back memories.
It was for us usually the only sweet thing that was for sale at all times.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We make millionaire's shortbread with the boiled caramel from the condensed milk. We can buy it in squeezy tubes too, very handy for camping. Milk and sugar for the tea/coffee in one :)

We also make an incredibly tasty sweetie with it here. It's called Tablet.
Himself's recipe (men make the best tablet, it takes muscle power to make good tablet) is on the forum somewhere. I'll find it.
It has the calorific impact of a neutron bomb :rolleyes:
It's brilliant energy rich food for a day out too.

M

Reactions: Hunkyfunkster

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, this is the original Himself recipe, as posted nearly ten years ago !

Tablet Recipe

Ingredients
1kg bag of sugar
½ can of sweetened condensed milk
125g of butter
1 cup of milk or water
Method
Butter a tray ready for the tablet.
Have a mug of cold water ready for testing
Put all the ingredients in a high sided pan.
Stir continuously on a medium heat until all the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
Turn the heat up a bit.
Boil stirring continuously until when some of the tablet is dropped into cold water and you push it with your finger it forms a soft ball.
The tablet should be light coloured not brown. It is better to take it off the heat too early rather than too late. You can always reheat it if its too soft.
Stir the tablet vigorously until it becomes thick . If you cool the pan in cold water this saves you getting a sore arm.
Pour the tablet into the buttered tray to set.
Enjoy scraping out the pot.
Bribe somebody else to do the washing up.

Meanwhile the house smells wonderful :D

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Also, if you boil the unopened tin for a time, you het something the spanish speaking people call Dulche de Leche.
Caramel?

But, as it is a very common ingredient here, we can buy it ready made.

Nestle brand is the milkest/ nicest.

Yes, I think us who went through the war ( my parents) or lived through the childhood under the tender, loving care of Big Brother Soviet Union, it does bring back memories.
It was for us usually the only sweet thing that was for sale at all times.

That.

The original banoffee pie was, and is, still made from boiling cans of condensed milk in East Sussex. The inventor of the Hungry Monk is no longer here, but his legacy of creating soft caramel toffee lives on. A superb pud, my mum puts one on the table at least once a year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...he-inventor-of-the-banoffee-pie-has-died.html

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Don't mention Banoffee Pie. The first and last time I tried it the can of condensed milk exploded in my mother's new kitchen and caramel went on every single square inch of everything. We spent a looooong time clearing it up.

Reactions: Janne

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
How to brew tea for gang on building site. As taught to me when I was a teenager.

Swill out nearest to hand galvanised builders' bucket
Fill bucket with water and stand on the brazier, after first making sure it is topped up with any wood offcuts to hand and burning well
Add one packet of tea, one two pound bag of sugar and one can of condensed milk
Stir with clean shovel
Bring to boil
Shout, "Tea's up!"

Let whole gang dip individual mugs into bucket in order of seniority, you last.

If no comment is made, the tea is OK. If it isn't, they will let you know!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
During the brief periods when I was captured and forced to attend school, I used to spend my dinner money by going to the local bakery and buying crusty white bread rolls. With a couple of other miscreants who contributed their dinner money, we would buy a tin of condensed milk to share. The drill was either poke a hole in a roll with your finger and fill it with sweet milk, or if you wanted to risk leakage, rip the soft centre of the roll out and pour in the milk.
I still say it beat the taste of a school dinner...:biggrin: :biggrin:

" We can buy it in squeezy tubes too, very handy for camping ":)

An essential part of my kit Toddy...:D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Crap. For a Foreign Dog like me it was the restaurant with proper Miss Marple flavor.....
Car park sucked though. I dented my 996 there. Low stone wall I did not see.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<Tengu saunters in, she has white stuff on her nose>

Faugh! too sweet for me.

What is that? Its Vanilla cream...Get that stuff and you wont bother with any dessert to put it on.

Reactions: Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Coffee. Black. The dark roasts have less caffeine if that suits you better.
2/3 dark French, 1/3 Nicaraguan is good.
Several more local bean roasts that you will never find outside BC.
No (takes a deep breath and holds it), we are not talking "Dunster Bud."

Reactions: Lou

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
At 17 I was a Junior Ordinary Seaman in a Tramp ship. The Seaman's Mess had a large population of Cockroaches that lived behind the wooden panelling on the forward bulkhead which separated the Mess Room from the ship's Galley. It was a sport to capture a few Cockroaches and have races on the formica topped Mess Room table. We kept our steeds in tobacco tins until Race Day, then someone would dip a match stick into a tin of condensed milk and place a line of small 'Blobs' at the end of the table as the finishing line. On the order 'Go' tins were placed on the start line and the lids removed (no cheating by tipping your thoroughbred out, they had to climb out themselves) Having spent a few days locked in a tin, the 'Roaches were peckish and soon latched onto the smell of sticky milk on the table about 8 feet away...The race was on! Bad weather made it more entertaining because even a 'Roach finds a shiney formica table top difficult going when the ship is rolling onto her beam ends. The winning trio were usually kept until next race day, and the owner/trainer of the first 'Roach home won a carton of duty free cigarettes or tin of tobacco. Unplaced Cockroaches went swimming...:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE