Composite Pipe

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Finished this pipe fairly recently. The bowl was carved by hand from cherry, with the bowl hollow done with a drill and then refined with a dremel style tool. Then a leather spacer, then oak shaft, copper spacer made from a coin and then a holly mouthpiece, mostly shaped with files after initial roughing out with a knife. There is a brass tube from a model shop running the length. Joints are socketed and glued.

5514799952_ea757a41d5.jpg

5514201327_0e1429b518.jpg

5514795994_1b9429d9d8.jpg

Cheers

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Thanks for the lovely comments.

The bowl is made of yew. I was so excited about having some pieces of such beautiful wood, that I just wanted to quickly make something that would show of the grain, with little thought for form and function.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
That is pretty amazing. I'm trying to make one for a friend but nothing as professional looking as that. I feel a bit depressed now, haha.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
very nice mate, have you smoked it yet? or will be it a display piece?
i've made a few crude pipes over the years but only have a picture of a funny corncob pipe i made ;) nice bit of elder for the pipe stem and a scooped out dried corncon with a elder bung in the bottom! haha my distinguished lack of tools makes more elaberate pieces difficult for me.

P1.jpg

just like grandpapy used to make 'em.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Thanks again everyone.

Merrygold, don't get disheartened, just a little bit at a time and it'll come together. And at the end, I find theres little more satisfying than creating a composite object where the constituent parts fit together smoothly. Persistance will pay off.

No, Samon I haven't smoked it. I originally made it as a commision but that fell through, so I hope to sell it at some point in the future. I usually do a few festival stalls in the summer.
Cheers guys.

Luu89

Jan 16, 2011
Cardiff, South Wales, UK
Hi Peat, as an avid smoker of tabacco (only) pipes (and only 21 years old too lol), I really like it. Do you make them professionally or just as a hobby?

I'd ask how much you wanted for it but, no disrespect intended, it appears a little shallow bowled for my taste :p

Cracking job though.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Cheers Luu,
Its only really a hobby at the moment. I make a bit of income from various carved goods, but hopefully, as I move to the catalonian countryside in 2 weeks I will be making then majority of my living from market stalls selling crafted goods and produce.

Yes, it is a relatively shallow bowl compared to it's width

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE