Cover for a large adze

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Long after I should have I've started on a blade guard for the large carpenters adze i restored a year or so back.

bz8sJ9o.jpg

I made a cardboard pattern from the bottom of the adze and cut from 5mm veg tan, the base, the top piece and a squashed U shaped spacer, glued the pieces together with contact adhesive and weighted them down over night to cure/dry. Today I trimmed the edges with a modelers David plane, marked out the places for the rivets and punched 1/8th" holes from each side then used a 1/8 drill to clear the middle layer as its easier than trying to go through 15mm of leather in one go. I've tapped the washers on with a snap and set and will rivet the ends tomorrow as its too late to do it tonight.

ATB

Tom

Reactions: Ascobis

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Great, I hope that it's a sloppy fit.
I made one and it's tight.
I'm paranoid about slipping, trying to put it on a carving sharp blade.

Where abouts might I start looking for leather to make something better?
#1 was the tongue of an old boot.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Its not a deliberately sloppy fit as I've found things tend to loosen off with use but its easy to slip on. For once I've not done the hot wax treatment as that would have tightened it up and hindered oil from soaking into the flesh side. Instead since It will become oil stained I've dyed it all over and boot waxed the outside all over (and inside of the retaining strap). It will hide it some.

Before dyeing I chamferred the edges of the leather, I'm finally getting the hang of the tool. The rivets ain't the prettiest ones I've ever done but will do, I used the very last of my copper washers ( had to scrabble around on the floor for ten minutes looking for one that rolled off the bench) so that's something else to restock on.. Infact That's about the last of the 5mm veg tan,

I've no buckles worth using at the moment so I used my last presstud from the huge batch I got on a carboot a few years back, definately a good buy. It's enough for the job.

uBhQTUB.jpg

ZWapkIo.jpg

I've oiled the lade several times before inserting so the oils starting to buildup inside. I'll keep repeating until I'm happy with it..

At least the edge is safe now. Just need to find some thick stuff to learn how to use it properly. I've promised to make a spinning stool. but finding the right woodcheap has proved a stumbling block again.

ATB

Tom

Reactions: Ascobis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE