Competition - Hang a pot!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Quick one to show my preferred set up. Its a little rough and ready but when the priority is a cuppa aesthetics go out of the window.
Next time I'm out ill put together a tutorial unless you think its self explanatory

l_c3d3666f8125f04bf2f963e6978ba479.jpg

Damn you! I was gonna do that rig! Never mind, it does work though, is simple and effective. Well done!

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
I know the rules but i just had to do it cause i dont hike for over night thing in yard things or a walk in in the woods not far not get lost. My wood stove 4 nails for pot drill two holes to meet at the cross roads about 1 in. hole just a little acohol to get going.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I won't win any prizes for this but my favoured method is a simple 3-stick tripod over a small fire with a billy suspended by paracord and a snap gate carabiner. Takes up almost no space and is easily adjusted ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I dont see why we should exclude you oops56 - my comp so it counts as an entry!

TF - simple works - nowt wrong in that either!

Red

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Quick one to show my preferred set up. Its a little rough and ready but when the priority is a cuppa aesthetics go out of the window.
Next time I'm out ill put together a tutorial unless you think its self explanatory

l_c3d3666f8125f04bf2f963e6978ba479.jpg

Cool use of physics. :)

I assume you just move the brace up and down the stay to vary the height? That makes it infinitely adjustable - very cool.

Is the paracord acting to anchor the top limb of the brace?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Don't you need to be careful with fire or does it not spread over there?

There is very, very little risk here. Britain is a temperate country and we hardly ever get tropical temperatures. Things just dont dry out to that extent. Friday is the first of June, supposedly our hottest month and it has been raining solidly for 3 days now over pretty much the whole country. It was 46 deg Fahrenheit yesterday. It does get hot here, but never really hot enough, for long enough to really dry stuff out to flash point. Last year was hot for us, one of the hottest summers on record, but I dont recall any brush fires. Occasionally there are some grass fires, but they dont spread because it pretty quickly bumps into something that hasnt dried out that much ...our woodlands are wet or damp pretty much 52/52. There are not many days in the year where you can sit on the ground without getting a wet backside.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
I best get on with that tutorial then :D

As Leon said the paracord just secures the top branch into an eye. not only is it infinitely adjustable in the vertical, you can also swing the arm all around the post.

Ive been shown it a couple of times, and only just seen it in the Graves book his variation looks like this

S_0304a.gif

As taken from the online version of his book here

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
There is very, very little risk here. Britain is a temperate country and we hardly ever get tropical temperatures. Things just dont dry out to that extent.

We haven't had a good rain in three weeks, the ground (red clay) is hard as concrete. The brush is thick and green but the leaves left from last Fall are brown, dry and ready to catch any spark that drifts on a soft wind. The woods here are not picked clean as yours seem to be. Many dry to well rotted branches lie on the forest floor. Forest fires are common and sometimes deadly. There was one in Florida and South Georgia a couple weeks ago that had smoke drifting all the way up to North Carolina(about 400 Miles). It was 80° F this weekend and very dry. We are on order from the Fire Marshall to start no open fires. We may use a BBQ grill but nothing on the ground. I'll try to post some pictures later.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Hey Weaver, we are finally getting a little rain down south. We'll get plenty soon. Only problem is that it will be falling horizontally at approx. 145 miles an hour. :D All the fun starts June 1.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The woods here are not picked clean as yours seem to be.

They are nor picked clean, they just mulch down fast because of the conditions. Any wood lying on the forrest floor is likely to be too wet to burn unless it's fairly recent fall. Fungus and beetles get to work on it in short order and it soon becomes part of the peaty soil. We generally have to look for hanging deadwood to burn, cos everything else is too wet for most of the year.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hi Martyn, good to hear from you. The paracord is there to hold the wood in an eye, normally the top spar goes all the way around the upright, it just uses friction to maintain its position.

As Leon said the paracord just secures the top branch into an eye. not only is it infinitely adjustable in the vertical, you can also swing the arm all around the post.

Ive been shown it a couple of times, and only just seen it in the Graves book his variation looks like this

S_0304a.gif

As taken from the online version of his book here

Thanks guys, what a cool trick. :)

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Not an entry as the pot is held in place by chain & hook but heres what I used last year. . .

potsand.gif

Old system but never failed me (I cooked pots full of food on that rig)

Kev

PS

We were low on fuel so as you can see I put my daughter on (jk) :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I thought you were going to say "I always carry a pair of purple trousers for wear round camp....

:)

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
heres my double pot hanger and some pics showing how it was made
DSC00054.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00050.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00051.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00052.jpg
[/IMG]

got 2lt of water in the two pots ,will probably hold much more .

DSC00055.jpg
[/IMG]

i made the lot with a tom brown tracker knife in about 20 mins
DSC00056.jpg
[/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE