Competition - Hang a pot!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
DSCF0438.jpg

Don't you need to be careful with fire or does it not spread over there? If I had a fire at home with all those wood chips around it would burn the house down. We have to dig a hole or circle some stones to keep the fire together.

In some other pictures I have seen fire right next to big piles of leaves and even inside a debris hut. That would catch the whole forest on fire here.

Why so (what we would call careless) little concern for fire spreading? Or is the weather so damp that nothing burns? :dunno:

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
it was very damp mate, it didnt seem to spread so i didnt worry to much about it, if it did start to spread though i would have done something about it
leon

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Yes, I know you would, nothing against you. You've come a long way in a short time for a young man!

It just dawned on me that I see a lot of fires burning very close to leaves and such. Must be damp as you say? That could never be allowed here, much too dry.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
WEAVER "In some other pictures I have seen fire right next to big piles of leaves and even inside a debris hut. That would catch the whole forest on fire here.

Why so (what we would call careless) little concern for fire spreading? Or is the weather so damp that nothing burns?"

Lmao!

Over here What we would consider "Dry" you would consider "Wet", In fact a countryman of yours wrote a song on the subject called "Forty shades of green" most dont realise it was written about the UK and that the forty shades do not refer to grass etc. they refer to algae & moss! (J.K.)

Britain is a nice place, it just needs a roof lol.

Kev

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok mate, point taken
on your question, yes it is very damp, especially in the winter and autumn, doesnt bother me to much though, i quite like the rain :eek:
leon

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I usually stick my pot in the side of the fire. I have just realised why I do this. Because it hasn't got a handle! I guess it is designed to go on a gas burner.

I will declare an interest in hanging my handleless pot. Not sure what I will come up with.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Heres my entry to take the pan of you remove the bar that way you dont burn your hands.

Campfire1-1.jpg

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Heres my entry. I made it this morning. It allows you to control temperature and means you can cook a wide variety of foods with the same hanger. You can remove the billy can without burning hands too.

The 16cm billy can used was full of water but the hanger was still well within its limits.

Hopefully the picture is self explanitary as to how it was made and set up.

Many thanks

Jon :D

pothanger.jpg

can.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beautifully illustrated Jon - did you use a "beak and notch" arrangement on the height adjustable hanger or just gravity?

Red

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Dont want to cause a stir but the rig I put up is the same as this one just not so well photographed and my hanger is beak and notch with a variety of heights available depending on the intensity of the fire ;)

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Im not sure what you mean by a 'beak and notch'. Maybe you have one over on me Silverback. ;)

My pot hanger worked great and the whatever notch sysem i used it was very sufficient for my needs.

Nice one jon, it has elegance.

One question though, do you just save that billy can for photo shoots? It looks far to clean! Get some soot on it!

woodwalker

The billy can was brand new. My brother got it me.

Many thanks!

Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE