Competition - Hang a pot!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
QUOTE=michiel;291431]HAHAHA....:sad6:

Mind telling me how it works :eek: :D[/QUOTE]

See the rope? that binds another fork to the larger fork. But facing the opposite direction. The bigger fork perches onto the vertical support, while the smaller fork hooks onto the same support. The weight of the billycan pins the whole rig down, so it doesn't fall or get slippery. As well, with the weight so well balanced, you can pivot the whole pot hook, away from the fire, or onto the fire.

Found it in Lofty Wiseman's SAS book yesterday, while looking for a plant I needed some details about (Solomon's Seal). Took a look at it and said "...well that's how that danged pot hold works!"

Until then, I thought Maverix drilled a hole through the support stick and tied a prussik knot or something to it.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Yep i new that but lost my glasses or would said about it earlier but need glasses to find them right:D :confused:

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
In my case I have used the paracord to bind the end into a loop/eye that threaded over the post.

Im of to the woods for the night now so ill see about a tutorial type thingy. If I don't get carried away watching the dormice again.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
OK well I managed to get it all together and took a few pics as I tried the Grave alternative to my original pot hanger. All the usual disclaimers e.g: I am no craftsman/photographer etc. but I'm hoping this gives those who are interested the jist of what I did.

Ok first off I find a branch, the main things I was looking for are the angles and the secondary branch that will create the fork that rests against the post. something like this is perfect:
l_f6d186b2378a6774aa3cf3674f1a6d51.jpg

Next up I trim the branch down so I have two pieces to work with:
l_047b2b8389ab11d20bcbeb4d61ccdf76.jpg

Then I flatten one side of each branch so they will lie together snuggly IMPORTANT BIT is to be sure that when the branches lie together flat sides together is that you make sure you have two opposing forks one pointing each way and parralell to each other:
l_b5f8642deede5a687e4167748a108c5a.jpg

Bad photo cos they aren't positioned right hopefully the close up makes it clearer. You should also be able to see that I have created an opposing notch to help hold things in place:
l_ce945e8a7db5627864de6577d3f950a1.jpg

then comes the tricky bit of binding. First off I take a bight (fold) of line and lay it along the branches:
l_91332f01537aeffbb69af1d0bbad32f4.jpg

binding back up along the bight I try to keep the binding as tight as i can till im left with a short tail at either end of the wrap:
l_a1be00ef2f5a3e6ff02eb948902c8e8d.jpg

l_4eb7089c8badd0f7568de8725352d550.jpg

then I thread the wrapped end through the end of the original loop and pull the other tail tight so the loop and tail get drawn under the wrapping:
l_e38208ded6e62ac5dec5ca3c0de7e518.jpg

if that all went to plan then once you've driven a decent post into the ground next to your fire , you have your very own fully adjustable pot hanger :
l_58f50d316e49878e51cdc37077202adf.jpg

I prefer my original one to this one as the eye seems to actually 'grip' the post a little better. That time i made it by splitting the branch back then twisting and bending to form the loop, which is held in place by the same binding:
l_10efba0c0f11bbee9ef7df4ae9b22ca8.jpg

Well there it is...my first tutorial probably as clear as mud :D feel free to ask if I stopped making sense.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Top job! I tink if people had trouble understanding it before, then this will have cleare up any queries. Don't forget that a spruce root could also be used in the place of paracord, but I suppose a bit of paracord from your pocket is easier than scrambling about with a digging stick!

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
It has done for me, in the past with the original eye version, but as I said this is my first go at making/using the opposing forks hanger. I havent experimented too much with this set up yet, however I think you could play about with the configuration of the top fork that grips the post using longer, springier or carving it to a better fit.

with the eye end you can bind the eye tighter around the post to get a super firm hold. Plus, in both cases the heavier the load in the pot the better the grip

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Very clear explanations maverix ! :You_Rock_

I got to admit that the in first picture, I did not see the top branch "grabbing" onto the stick, it was my only interrogation.

Cheers,

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Here's my design, I don't know if it is a well known one. It has advantages over a tripod in that there is easier access to the fire from one side. It is adjustable by changing the length of the cord, or length or angle of the legs, and as usual the hanger could have many notches. Here I have used 3 virginia creepers plaited together--the setup is plenty strong enough to hold enough water--but of course paracord could be used.

I tied it to a tree, but an alternative would be to use a strong peg in the ground a little way off. Or perhaps a sleeping friend.

pot2.jpg

Have a few other ideas I might try too.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Ok. Nothing very innovative I'm afraid. My best idea has already been done but this is what I usually use.

fire-rig.jpg

The base of the main pole is tied to the tree so that it can pivot up and down and sideways a bit.

As a result, by moving the bipod you can change the height and position of the pot.

It's simple but very stable as the tree is giving the whole thing a good set of roots as a foundation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE