Comparison camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Its worth bearing in mind that alcohol corrodes aluminium. I lost a lovely 250ml Sigg bottle that way earlier in the year. :(

cheers, never knew that,...

over what kind of time scale?...

i thought some purpose made fuel bottles were alu anyway?...

i got the original plastic Swedish one somewhere may dig it out,..

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
aluminum fuel bottles (sig bottles for example) have a plastic coating on the inside to stop things like meths from eating away the aly.

stuart

They didn't always have and the lined Sigg bottles you can buy now are, strictly speaking, drinks bottles. Sigg haven't made fuel bottles as such, for a number of years although there's nothing to stop you putting fuel in their drinks bottles.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Ok chaps here is my kit minus food, the pack is my wifeys as I feel a bit odd for some reason cutting about with my day sack, must be due the new location,the curtains came with the house they WILL be going,
DSCF3452.jpg

DSCF3455.jpg

kit list wise,

DD hammock+tarp
jungle bag for an under blanket
Buffalo sleeping bag
two water bottles
milbankbag
metal cup
Kuksa
colman gas stove
coffee+sugar
Fenix p1D q5
duracell head torch
folding saw
svord peasant knife
spoon knife
Bill Bryson "in search of the lost continant"
note pad to record my "events"
pen
First Aid Kit
phone

fire lighting kit comprising of
DSCF3454.jpg

bic lighter
flint and steel
tinder birch bark\amadu\sizle and a cramp ball
lens seated in the tin lid,

im taking the fire kit to practise some more with rather than to rely on it at the mo,

and it will be the first outing for my junglebag under quilt, ill also add a waterproof camera to for the pics of the werewolf that gets me:yikes:,

my location is not far from home either, i have permission to be there but the caretaker wants to meet me before he will let me have a fire which is fine,

now this being wednesday\thursday my list is subject to change as there are just to many hours of thinking before going to have a final kit list but i will update any changes\additions and why,

Added dc3 sharpening stone, forgot to put it in the pic as it was in my pocket, Goon,

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Ok chaps here is my kit ...kuksa,

did you make this on your last outing?

hey mate,..

i,m very impressed anda little humbled,.

you forgot to wiegh it,..we need to add handicap wieghts if you come in too light,..hahaha

i got 17 stone of me to get there 1st

i,m looking forward to a pic of the fire lighting kit in use

nice one,..

Stu

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Dont be too quick to praise mate you havent seen me womble down the track in the morning with my dossbag dragging behind and clangy pots and pans tied all over my pack , I will weigh it in the moring, i will have to do individual items as i havent found the large scales yet, which could be a good thing concidering we just polished of a trifle between the two of us!! no the Kuksa was a gift from Wifey for passing a course a while back, also forgot to add hip flask with something tasty in, i reccied my spot today while out for a run and nearly died from nettle sitngs, I might need to take a staff with me, I really like your blanket, It looks deab homely and warm,

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Dont be too quick to praise mate you havent seen me womble down the track in the morning with my dossbag dragging behind and clangy pots and pans tied all over my pack ,,

aaaah haaa !!

i got a picture in my head of an old toothless Klondike gold prospector now!

have you got a mule too,..

is that why you like my blanky !??? you wanna roll it up on the back of the mule dont yer?

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I thought id put a little info on each of my kit items and why i have put them in my pack,
first up is a buffalo 4seasons outer by itself its a great 2\3 season bag if sleeping in me undies, I find it plenty warn enough for our winter fully clothed with a bivvi bag, it doesn't pack down super small but its small enough for me, i like the pile material and the fitted hood,
DSCF3456.jpg

next we have a issue bivvi bag the kind with the wide entry, nice and simple design, if you sit in the hood theres enough slack to get you feet into the bag,
DSCF3457.jpg

ortlieb dry bag, this is my bergan liner, big and tough, but it is weighty,
DSCF3458.jpg

two NATO water bottles, strong and they fit in the side pockets nicely, this shot shows the two kinds of tops you will get, one a standard, the other is for use with the s10 respirator drinking system, whereby you would unroll your drink tube from the front of your resy and plug it in the top after a bit of decontamination, then try to drink to your hearts content with out having a nose bleed from the pressure you have to maintain if v thirsty,
DSCF3459.jpg

this is my old es-bit cooker,fuel tablets, kuksa, sugar and coffee and a lighter,
It takes two blocks to boil the cup for a brew and three to cook two rashers of bacon chopped up and an egg! the kuksa is there as the cup gets flipping hot and is no usable for about five mins if the brew stays in it so i decant it to the kuksa then crack on with brekkie, I made the bag from a desert shirt arm with a flat bottom sewn in,
DSCF3460.jpg

from left to right, head torch from Duracell it has three brightness levels and a red light func, runs on three AAA batts,spoon knife which on reflection will not be going with me as i probably wont use it , leatherman pst its a very useful tool, and doesn't have any locking feature, svord peasant a great knife very good blade holds a wicked edge and is edc legal, Laplander saw, you know it I know it it does what it does and comes in handy if i see a piece of great wood id like for projects, Fenix p1d q5 lives on my keys and is a cracker of a torch good throw and so bright my arm hasn't woken up yet from shining in wifeys eyes!
DSCF3462.jpg

BlackBerry Storm 2, good phone with googlemaps and a built in sat nav, 3.2 MB cam with geotagging facility, two days of battery life if used frequently and a small life venture dry bag it had a cover which i ripped off so i could see the display,
DSCF3465.jpg

first aid kit to deal with cuts from small nicks to large slashes, and pury tabs,
DSCF3466.jpg

Millbank bag to replenish my water supplies, I take it even for an over nighter as you never know if you might decide to stay out longer,
DSCF3467.jpg

tinder box, it has a lens set in the lid, inside i have some Amadu, sizle string to create a little bundle of fibers, flit and steel, cramp ball and a little roll of birch bark, and a lighter lives in the plastic bag too,
DSCF3468.jpg

a note book hard cover, i like to have something to lean on when drawing pictures of ducks, and a book to read held in a leather cover to protect the cover,
DSCF3471.jpg

3m by 3m dd tarp with shock cord for the guys and little gear crabs to clip my gear to the ridge line,
DSCF3472.jpg

I found the scales today and it comes to around 12KG, you will notice i don't have a mat, i don't use one, don't know why just never found one i got on with,

Cheers Southey,:)

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
aaah so your'e bivi'ing and i,m tarping,...

this should give a good angle on the comparison,,,,

on the Svord....arnt they a teeny bit longer than 3 inch?..i hear a lot of folk trimming the tip a little,,,

still gonna get one tho,,,

wheres the menu man???

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
oops forgot to put that, had to change my location after moving on some idiots who were burning random rubbish where i intended to sleep so thought it prudent not to be deep in sleep if they were to return, so ill be in my ground dewlling mode,

As far as i know mate there production controls are a little slack when it comes to the blade and it is possible to buy a peasant with a sub 3" blade from the box, but mine has had a little modding by the chap i bought it from to bring it under(cheers Rich),

for food i tend to be a light snacker when out and about so it will be a bag of granola with dried fruits added, if you think of a lower pocket of an issue windproof size bag, but for brekkie it will be two slices of smoked bacon chopped and once they start to produce fat and egg added for good measure!, simple food for my simple mind,
Where are you with your alacarte regime then matey?

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I chuck one up in a bit Rich, it does fold up pretty small, i have a buffalo top and trousers that i use with it if the weather is in the subs which means i dont use the 4seasons inner, it gives you very adaptable sleep system as your wearing the top most the time and can add the trousers if you need, and there all pretty light,

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
So as plans do mine have changed for the third time, I am as I type say on the northan ridgeway overlooking easterton, I am at the moment trying to decide weather to go hammock or ground, though I'm quite well shelterd from view I'm still feeling a strong northerly wind which is pushing me towards my hammock. I can hear tank shot landing about a mile away! I have a pic of the impact. Bugger it going for my hammock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE