Comparison camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Following on from this thread, Raikey and I thought it better to start a thread rather than keep hijacking gowersponger's,

So we are both off for a night in the woods this weekend, and just to add a twist thought it might be fun to compare our experiences with kit,local and general fun had, well chuck some pics and obviously feel free to add\comment\deride\ridicule or poke fun at our expense:)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i pity the fool!!

ha ha ,..so just a little light competition to procedings will add another spin to the whole thing.

but also so folks can compare how different we all are in style equipment etc,...

we wont confere,

apart from to rib each other, ha ,...

its my 1st time alone too so thats an adventure for me in itsself,

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
just re read this and i must add that we are going seperatley,..

i,m using a local wood, and Southey has just found his self a nice spot close to him,,,

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Should make for some interesting reading.

My money's on Raikey getting spooked about 1 a.m and legging it home.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
hi folks,...

i thought i may aswell start the "camp off" now , no point waiting while sunday and doing it when i,m back .

we all probably have little prep ceromonies we do leading up to even the one night jobs,

i have litterally just opened my pack from the last trip (last month, i think i posted the pics on here) so what you see is a basic kit.

i will have to freshen up the food bag but other than that i reckon i could go right now and be pretty comfortable..

so, my pack before opening,..a 2 quart U.S water carrier on the outside.

DSC02910.jpg

next, home and bed, just a DD 3x3 and a camping hammock nowt special here,

DSC02911.jpg

the only mod i have added is a pre-prepped ridge/utility line,
i dont use the tabs on the tarp, i just chuck up the double line (carabiners and prussic knots for ease of adjustment)

and 4 guy's set up with prussics too

DSC02912.jpg

next is my bedding,...a magical woolen blanky woven out of unicorns moustache hair, and given to me by a Navaho indian chief,..ok i got it from a car boot sale years ago...

DSC02915.jpg

head wear next,.i,m a baldy so this is essential not just for sleeping but everywhere. and a shemagh, i use it as a pillow/towel/rag/scarf/you get the idea.

DSC02913.jpg

wash bag and bog roll, nowt special....alcohol hand cleanser can be used to light your fire tho,..

DSC02914.jpg

next up COOKING, an all important part of it all for me,...i use a Swedish stainless mess kit, and trangia meths burner, sooo many different ways to use it,...(but thats another thread)

all the kit you see here goes inside apart from the meths bottle (merrel bottle) i have a british army plaggy cup for me porridge/rice bowl and a stainless cup for drinks, and a lil spare plastic one for visitors ;)

i also carry the little grill bars you can see, it makes a nice stable surface for cooking in the fire/embers, and i use it on the tail gate of me pick up with the trangia so it dont melt the paint.

oh and a sundae spoon, extra long for stirring in the mess kit so i dont burn my fingers,..:nono:

DSC02918.jpg

next is the food i have as a base, like a bag of bannock mix, chilli flakes, chilli paste, garlic paste, oats, rice, olive oil,
like i say , enough to go now and manage, but to fluff out before i set off. all in the dry bag shown..

DSC02919.jpg

i use a seperate drinks bag, a little container of coffee grounds, and some filters, (cant wake up without some proper coffee)

DSC02920.jpg

i also carry this little pouch with bits and bobs in,,,,
DSC02921.jpg

and emptied , to show, gerber crucial, insulting tape, copper wire, string, spare torch and batteries, sewing and fishing kits,marker pen, pencil, tent pegs to make an impromptu trangia pot stand,small adjustable spanner ??? hahah

DSC02922.jpg

Oh! nearly forgot the sharps,

i'll take the old Kershaw Elk Skinner i think, (sharp and heavy).
a gerber/fiskars back paxe (i,m only one nighting it so not much chopping to do)

a cheapo market folding saw (need to get a laplander!)

and i,m gonna give my freshly rehandled little CRKT side hawg a run out too, might do a lil wittling

oh theres a surefire D2 there too with a red filter set up,..

DSC02917.jpg

i also like to hang everything up this time of year so i carry a bunch of caribiners for the line under the tarp,,

DSC02924.jpg

and the content ready to go back in all together.

DSC02923.jpg

you probably noticed no under blanket or mat,...

this is a bit weird but the dry coniferous leaf litter in the wood i use is nice and spongy so i open up the zip in the hammock and fill it up,,,

its not too cold just yet and i,m gonna try and keep a little fire going anyway,...

so thats me,...hope you enjoyed it,,,

feel free to comment, question or criticise,

cant wait to see Southey's gear now...i feel like i missed summat,...

cheers

Stu

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
ha quality

we generate a inovative competition based thread, intending to showcase the differing methods and equipment used by two respected members (well, one, and me)

and which bit draws the most interest,..??

my equipment inventory? no, a little quip referencing a movie about two misunderstood cowboy friends who like to go fishing twice a year.

i am sorely dissappointed.

hahahaha :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
this is a great thread chaps, i love "show and tell".

where's your kit then southey?

cheers

stuart

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
It's amazng how much kit you can fit into a NI Patrol pack isn't it :D i use one myself now instead of anything bigger. Looks a good set up, good luck

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
It's amazng how much kit you can fit into a NI Patrol pack isn't it :D i use one myself now instead of anything bigger. Looks a good set up, good luck

they are a simple no fuss pack arent they ?

this kit flies in with no messing, and i got an empty side pocket for an exta water bottle or grub for longer trips,,,,and a but of room in the top too..

i can do 3-4 days comfy if i pack it to the gills ,

i dont know the specs exactly,..i think 35-38 litres?

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
NI Pack works out about 40 litres all in. I can get a standard sized issue artic dossbag in mine with dd tarp and hammock and an alpkit self inflating kip mat plus a 2 litre camelbak and 2 issue waterbottles, 3 days worth of rat packs, a full loo roll and a wash kit. Plus the usual cooking kit etc.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Raikey, how long are you going away for, two months did you say!!!??? Sure you got enough kit??? :D

You might need a few more sharps...:campfire:

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Raikey, how long are you going away for, two months did you say!!!??? Sure you got enough kit??? :D

You might need a few more sharps...:campfire:

just overnight ,..hahaha,...

what can i say,..i like my comforts,..

i can walk into my site , out the back door about a mile, so can,t see the point in lightweighting.

and i was trying to sort of typify what i consider a basic set up for this thread ,....

just wieghed the pack,..minus water its 10kgs dead,..thats pretty light for me,..

more sharps,..?..you think,..?...

ok i just added a 20 inch parang , a 14 v cordless hammer drill, and a battery powered dust buster, (i like a tidy camp)

hahaha...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
just overnight ,..hahaha,...

what can i say,..i like my comforts,..
more sharps,..?..you think,..?...
ok i just added a 20 inch parang , a 14 v cordless hammer drill, and a battery powered dust buster, (i like a tidy camp)

hahaha...

That's more like it...Now, where's Southey's kit??? I get the feeling he's a "last minute" packer...He's playing with us...

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
That's more like it...Now, where's Southey's kit??? I get the feeling he's a "last minute" packer...He's playing with us...

i think he's gonna play his joker card,

he's waited till my kit is up so he can embarrass me with his !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE