common sorrel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 28, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Be very careful!
A fairly common error when picking sorrel is to pick Lords & Ladies instead. This is the small mace of bright red berries that arrive in mid-late summer. Every bit of this plant is poisonous, with the leaves acting as a strong irritant.

L&L leaves are very similar in shape to sorrel, although the wings at the back of the arrow-head shape tend to be more rounded, while sorrel has sharp backward pointing tips. Also, L&L tends to be slightly more glossy with a balloon-rubber-like feel in the more mature leaves - Sorrel is more succulant. At this time of year, look out for a green spike sticking up in the middle of the plant, which is the spadix (male organ) of the L&L, surrounded by it's leaf sheath - it's rather fallic if you peel the surrounding leaf away.
Finally, L&L tends to grow in/near woodland, whereas common sorrel tends to grow in rough-ish pasture near the shelter of dips and hedges.

Common sorrel may well be peppery/sharp, but WILL NOT hurt your toung. It sounds like you have made the above mistake.
I reccommend cross-referencing with several id-ing books before eating anything from the wild.
River Cottage Hedgerow Handbook is good as it helpfully points out dangerous look-alikes.

Good luck
Mark

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
common sorrel seems so much more sour at this time of year, i tried some a week ago and it hurt my tong its that sour, has anyone else had this experience?

Mark is right. It was Arum maculatum (lords and ladies, cuckoo pint) and it hurt your tongue because it contains thousands of tiny needle-sharp crystals which embed themselves in the soft tissues of your mouth and throat. It's a bit like eating fibreglass.

extremeds

Aug 8, 2010
essex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE