Coming soon - BK “Oak” knife prototype

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
For the next period we are preparing a new knife design. It is meant to be a little lighter than the “Woodspirit” and better adapted to whittling tasks. With a thinner point and the same scandi zero grind as the other knives we make, the Oak should be the perfect wood eater. The handle will be a little shorter without passing the comfort limit for easier handling yet a safe grip.
Same 3 mm thick O1 tool steel (hardened to 63-64 HRC) will be the choice for the blade and a Corby rivet + lanyard will secure the scales.
The rough dimensions are mentioned in the scheme attached.

Prototype release date is 25.03.2015

Please feel free to comment - they will all be heard :D

Thanks for watching!

BK oak.jpg

Thank you both!
@Robbi - taking into account that until today there were thousands of knife designs already made it is quite predictable that if you do not build an alien knife :D you have some chances for your design to look more or less like other into the market. In our particular case the handle is quite near the Enzo (with slight difference in the end), but the blade has nothing to do wit that. In any case it is as i explained a possible coincidence and no intention. The knife was designed by us based only on our experiences.

All the best mates!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Can i ask why you are setting the heat treatment at 63/64 rc... on 01 tool steel, with a high flat scandi?

Thats hardened to full, and not tempered down at all. To me, that seems like a chip waiting to happen.

It would also make it difficult to sharpen on standard water stones.

First of all thank you all for your kind comments!
@HillBill - you are quite right but being the prototype i just wanted to test the steel to its limits. I usually prefer very hard blades due to the fact that if i pay enough attention to them while working, the edge will remain scary sharp for longer periods. Its hardness might be changed but it will need some testing by us until the knife will go into production.
In any case the scandi zero grind is meant to be used ONLY with care (only my two cents) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE