Come rain or shine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Warm or cold, which do you prefer ???

• Tough as old boots me, colder the better

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • More of a fair weather camper, don`t do rain !

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Long summer days for me, hotter the better

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Don`t really mind, just love to be out there

Votes: 69 67.0%

• Total voters

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
I love all weather and I get really annoyed with the whether people being so negative about anything other then sunshine. Where would we be without rain and wind? Buy some proper clothes and stop moaning!

I love the sun but when its hot I have little energy to do anything I just want to lay about enjoying it. When its raining I hate the transfer from wet clothes to sleeping bag and back again. But whilst wrapped up the rain, wind and frost is lovely and refreshing, makes me feel alive.

Theres no such thing as poor weather only poor clothing (or something)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Prefer cold to heat as you can always stoke the fire or stick an extra layer on.

Kinda like the rain, dont mind it for a few days although a week of it can get you a little down. The other bonus of rubbish weather is it keeps a lot of people in so things are a bit quiter :D

Strong wind really gets on my thripeny bits though as a fire is a pia if not impossible and when added to cold weather it can make things anoying to say the least.

No such thing as the wrong weather just the wrong cloths as they say ;)

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I don't mind any weather - extreme hot/cold also fine by me, but wind and rain together tends to lead to exposure which is not good.

Either way, be safe, be sensible, be alive.

Chris

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Love it in Spring when it's bright and crisp, beyond that don't care what the weather is - unless the rain gets horizontal that is ;-) that's about the point where I want to go home.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
No fan of extremes here. Strong wind in particular just does my head in - might be something to do with the long hair...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Cold, clear crisp winterdays are the best. Preferred temperatures: -10 to -20. Colder takes away the fun. Slept in a tent in -42, no fun in that.

But rainy windy autumn days are ok too.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Defo cold winter days and nights myself, not a great lover of breaking a sweat :lmao:
Nothing like waking up in the morning to a good frost on the ground, can't wait for winter proper.
Rain i don't mind nowadays as long as i'm not in a rush to get anywhere, spent a week in my tent once as i refuse to walk any distance in it, not so bad now :rolleyes:

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i like the uk in all weathers when theres snow on the ground or even falling the trip does have more of an expedition feeling to it

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
The spring bushmoot was a my hard lession. It was May, and weather was an october storm. In a 30year old tent (which did great). We should of gone home. I had the coldest nights rest (too cold to sleep).

Yes, I learnt a few lessons there as well and they were all to do with the wind. Wind and trees equals danger. Windchill doesn't just happen in exposed areas and wind and wet equals double misery.

Pablo.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I've been out in all weather. You learn to adjust, plan for, and adapt.

But I do not like hot, humid, windy, or wet conditions. I still go out in those type of conditions, I just don't prefer them.

Yes, I do have something of a preference to COLD camps. That cold tends to weed out the flakes/freaks. You really have to know what you are doing, and plan for cold weather camping. Grabbing a couple wool blankets and hiking down the valley to camp on the hillside under the full moon when it's 20 below zero (Farenheit) with 2 feet of snow is truly an invigorating experience! As was then watching the deer come out along the creek below to dance/play in the moonlight. Sometimes I start a fire, sometimes I don't. (I try to plan ahead so that I do not NEED a fire to survive the night.)

And foul weather camps tend to be more memorable. There's just something about "shared travail" that tends to bond people together. We all still laugh about that night spent rolled up in out blankets sleeping in a slush-filled corn field with sporadic sleet falling all night! Or tucked under a stone ledge on a rocky hill in pouring rain while listening to the creek below as it started to flood.

And then I woke on top of a small cliff to the sun rising with the whole valley in mist below. Days like that more than offset those "less than favorable" days.

In the end, it's all a matter of personal attitude. I prefer great weather, but live with what comes.

Just my humble thoughts to share.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Theres no such thing as poor weather only poor clothing (or something)

There is no such thing as poor weather, just inappropriate clothing!:D - its the teacher in me - I have to correct things!

I don't mind what the weather does when I am out alone or in a group of similarly experienced / equipped people.

But when I take kids out on expedition I like it to be dry and warm! This is because many of them judge the outdoors on this one and only experience of it - if it is a "negative" experience for them they will not repeat it and will lose out in future life!

Simon

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
u right in a way simon m ,but i took my oldest son out when it was snowing loads on the ground and loads falling we used bikes cos i didnt dare use the car.but he still talks about it now it was the winter before last i think.i still remember listening to "the arctic monkeys" on the radio .
r u sure uve spelt inappropriate correctly whilst correcting lottie lou ^^^^

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
I don't mind blizzards, or gales (unless I'm cycling).

Conituous heavy rain is the only thing I don't really like, but mainly I like variety and seasonal weather.

Forecast just said some serious weather coming for tomorrow :)

I know this is gonna sound weird on a bushcraft site but there was once a time when I was sick of sleeping out. By the gods I longed to have a dry place to lie down in and dry my gear. Thankfully those homeless days are long past and now I long to sleep out. But to be honest I'll never love the rain and damp as after a few nights unless you heat your tent or bivi, everything gets damp, it's unavoidable. I love the cold hard frosts best as most of the moisture freezes and it feels drier and hey why not. Most of the time it's wet when I'm out anyway so u do get used to it to a degree but it's better in the cold frosts for me anyhow!

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
don't mind walking in the rain but really don't like camping in it. It's OK for a few nights, but if it goes on beyond that then things start getting a bit trying...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE