Come rain or shine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Warm or cold, which do you prefer ???

• Tough as old boots me, colder the better

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • More of a fair weather camper, don`t do rain !

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Long summer days for me, hotter the better

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Don`t really mind, just love to be out there

Votes: 69 67.0%

• Total voters

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just wondered if folk have any preference to climatic conditions when out for a night or two.

Having spent Wednesday night out in wind and horizontal rain, once I`d got myself setup & settled I constructed a small wind break and was nice and cosy for the duration. Waking up to a crisp sunny morning in the woods on Thursday made it all seem worth it and I was glad I`d stuck it out rather than trundle back to the car.

So what do you prefer ???

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
tough as old boots me :p , I cant stand the heat unless i have to, memories of being stuck up a mountain with heat exhaustion :( , and i love the cold :)

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Same as CC, my best climate or scene is going out when its modertly dry getting set up having a nice fire with a cup of tea on the go.
Then when the fires nice and i have enough wood to keep me happy , i enjoy a nice bit of rain, just makes it feel more outdoors. , to me.
Lodian

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I don't really mind any weather as long as there isn't too much of it. A bit rain=nice, insessant unstopping monsoon=bad. Sunshine=nice, scorching heat=bad. Snow=nice blizzard that can kill=bad. pleasant breeze=nice, gale with breaking trees=bad.

Everyone should know their limits, and the limits of their kit. Bad weather teaches you respect, spending an uncomfey night awake with cold or wet through can be good way of learning when it is best to go home, or get better kit.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Xylaria - what an excellent post :D

I think as I get a bit more experience and the right equipment I'll probably enjoy sleeping
out in colder, wetter weather as it's my weather of choice for 'normal' day to day stuff.

So I've said 'fair weather' for now because I don't have the kit or knowledge to sleep out
in anything chillier.

I don't think I'm tough as old boots but I'm one of the people who'll walk down the road
in torrential rain while everyone else is skulking under shop awnings waiting for a break
in the clouds. Of course I know I'm going home or to work where I can get dry again, I
think I'd have a different mindset if I was going to be remaining cold and wet for some
time! I'd be skulking too.

xylaria

jodie you will live to learn about colder weather and live to buy better kit.

Been the hardman is what get people killed on tops on a regular basis.

i normally go camping with the children but not in november. The spring bushmoot was a my hard lession. It was May, and weather was an october storm. In a 30year old tent (which did great). We should of gone home. I had the coldest nights rest (too cold to sleep). There is alot of things I do now that I didn't do before that. The kids were fine though, nobody died or ended up pregnant.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
For some reason I can never fathom I really like cold, windy weather. I don't mind the rain and I like the warmth but I do like cold and windy. Just as well I live in the north of Scotland then!:D

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
i don't really mind what the weather is, but extremes of temperature are no fun - too hot , you can't sleep for sweating, too cold and the opposite applies. saying that, we don't really get either in england, and i've happily been december camping in the past.
but as long as you're not freezing to death, or drowning in your own perspiration, you can't beat the sound of rain on the tarp:)

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
you can't beat the sound of rain on the tarp:)
That is so true, once recorded the sound on my phone and sent it to a friend.:rolleyes: He couldn't figure out what it was and it cost him £1.50 to receive it.:lmao:

I don't mind the cold or rain just not both at the same time.:D

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Interesting poll, I suspect the results may surprise a few people. I prefer it a little cold and wet. Its good to have that special wrapped up feeling against the elements. I suspect thats because most Scots of my generation were left out in their prams all day regardless of weather! Of course I can exert myself more in cooler conditions, and the hateful midgie goes when its cold...... As do the casual tourist/campers...
G:werd:

D

Deleted dude 7861

Colder the better for me too, no midges, less tourists who could ask for more lol Somehow the cold makes the countryside beautiful there's nothing like frosty mountains and winter sun. I boil in summer, need 10.C or less to start feeling comfortable :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
a fine day is best in winter when you can appreachate it better

wet is best to cool down hot days

I voted the last option because I love getting out and about in winter. The one weather system I have a problem with here in UK is driving (horizontal?) rain. I love heavy rain in totally calm conditions (a la rainforest) and I love extremes of temperature (I've experienced +54∘ C to - 36∘C).
I'm with Tengu here: A calm, crisp sunny day in winter gladdens the heart as well as a cool shower in a hot summer. Driving rain over an extended period, though, gets depressing after a while!

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Being brought up on the Isle of Lewis means even your worst day down here feels like a nice day to me.

Mind you if I moved back up North now after spending so much time in these sunny climes I would feel the pinch.

George

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I don't realy mind what the weather is - within reason!
This year I found that the jungle is not for me - with excessive heat and humidity while gales combined with any other weather is a bit of a pig.
No matter how bad the weather gets I can always find something good about the experience - even if it is only the bragging rights gained by surviving a bad storm!
Having survived the cold to the point of hypothermia (mild) and Frostbite (mild), Heat exhaustion, (pretty bad), sun burn (hospitalization level - as a know nothing teanager), trench foot (mild) and other climatic injuries I have seen a lot of weather, learned some hard lessons - and gained some good stories!
I advise people to learn from my mistakes if they can and not have to go through some of the stuff I did! Their stories may outdo mine!

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
In my experience if it's cold I can stay warm (within reason), if it's hot there's little I can do about it, and if it's wet I end up either soaked or hiding in some kind of shelter until it's stopped. Therefore dry is good, dry and cool better.
Plus those crisp winter sunrises on snow-covered mountains *starts daydreaming*
I really do love winter!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE