Cold weather bivvy

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Any room for my 13x9 hot tent Andy?
There is actually Rich, I got a spot for us, same spot where i usually camp, its in a flat depression, some shelter from wind, loads of fern, can park your car 20 yards away from it, right by viaduct. I wouldnt bivvy in a shake hole gents, up to you of course but they do tend to partly fill with water and they stink. :)

Last edited:

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Yeah, if you include the areas round the viaduct itself there must be more flat spots. I was looking in the area right at the grid ref in the map that was posted before. Personally I'd prefer to stay a bit away from the viaduct but thats just me. There are some shakeholes that are filled-in that could make some fair little sheltered bivvy spots, wouldn't use one with a watery hole at the bottom.

Last edited:

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Yeah, if you include the areas round the viaduct itself there must be more flat spots. I was looking in the area right at the grid ref in the map that was posted before. Personally I'd prefer to stay a bit away from the viaduct but thats just me. There are some shakeholes that are filled-in that could make some fair little sheltered bivvy spots, wouldn't use one with a watery hole at the bottom.

So are you definitely bivvying this time Andy? No luxuries?

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
That's the plan ! As regards luxuries, well, I think my new sleeping bag is a bit of a luxury.. but I think I might allow myself a bottle of something warming too ;-)

Ah what bag did you go for in the end? I'm laying off the booze this time I think, don't need my blood thinning up there. It might get a wee bit chilly.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Carinthia 4 200cm, which is a large military spec bag, which should be comfy down to -5, if colder my old Marmot down bag fits perfectly inside. I get the flexibility and potential weight saving over a single 5 season bag. Less initial outlay too. I just got a belgian bivi bag similar to Grays which I'll mod with a centre zip to match the Carinthia.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Carinthia 4 200cm, which is a large military spec bag, which should be comfy down to -5, if colder my old Marmot down bag fits perfectly inside. I get the flexibility and potential weight saving over a single 5 season bag. Less initial outlay too. I just got a belgian bivi bag similar to Grays which I'll mod with a centre zip to match the Carinthia.

Sounds perfect mate.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ok cool, well I've been on the forum for nearly 7 years, this will be my first meet! How un-social am I :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well I've got a bit more time on my hands now so hopefully can get more involved with BcUK, it'll be good to put some faces to names.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE