Cold weather bivvy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Any room for my 13x9 hot tent Andy?
There is actually Rich, I got a spot for us, same spot where i usually camp, its in a flat depression, some shelter from wind, loads of fern, can park your car 20 yards away from it, right by viaduct. I wouldnt bivvy in a shake hole gents, up to you of course but they do tend to partly fill with water and they stink. :)

Last edited:

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Yeah, if you include the areas round the viaduct itself there must be more flat spots. I was looking in the area right at the grid ref in the map that was posted before. Personally I'd prefer to stay a bit away from the viaduct but thats just me. There are some shakeholes that are filled-in that could make some fair little sheltered bivvy spots, wouldn't use one with a watery hole at the bottom.

Last edited:

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Yeah, if you include the areas round the viaduct itself there must be more flat spots. I was looking in the area right at the grid ref in the map that was posted before. Personally I'd prefer to stay a bit away from the viaduct but thats just me. There are some shakeholes that are filled-in that could make some fair little sheltered bivvy spots, wouldn't use one with a watery hole at the bottom.

So are you definitely bivvying this time Andy? No luxuries?

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
That's the plan ! As regards luxuries, well, I think my new sleeping bag is a bit of a luxury.. but I think I might allow myself a bottle of something warming too ;-)

Ah what bag did you go for in the end? I'm laying off the booze this time I think, don't need my blood thinning up there. It might get a wee bit chilly.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Carinthia 4 200cm, which is a large military spec bag, which should be comfy down to -5, if colder my old Marmot down bag fits perfectly inside. I get the flexibility and potential weight saving over a single 5 season bag. Less initial outlay too. I just got a belgian bivi bag similar to Grays which I'll mod with a centre zip to match the Carinthia.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Carinthia 4 200cm, which is a large military spec bag, which should be comfy down to -5, if colder my old Marmot down bag fits perfectly inside. I get the flexibility and potential weight saving over a single 5 season bag. Less initial outlay too. I just got a belgian bivi bag similar to Grays which I'll mod with a centre zip to match the Carinthia.

Sounds perfect mate.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ok cool, well I've been on the forum for nearly 7 years, this will be my first meet! How un-social am I :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well I've got a bit more time on my hands now so hopefully can get more involved with BcUK, it'll be good to put some faces to names.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE