Cold weather bivvy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Mine will be tarp, bag, firesteel and knife and 44 steel mug...i think, have any five items you want. The rules are easy, choose 5 items and live with them for two days in an improvised shelter. I'll probably make a tent shape shelter with the tarp, loads of bracken etc for the base. One end closed off against a hill and just crawl in other end in my bag. Wood shavings made with the knife will catch a spark from firesteel, cook and drink in/ from 44 mug. Easy peasy :)

Last edited:

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
For the lsat weekend its just a bag. Dont forget though theres a easy, intermediate and the last one is hard. The first weekend is just a meet with a competion for a best shelter,followed by the 3,5 items weekends. The first of the 3 weekends is 1 item is one system but the weather has warmed up by april which is the last weekend, hence just the s/ bag etc

Last edited:

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
For the lsat weekend its just a bag. Dont forget though theres a easy, intermediate and the last one is hard. The first weekend is just a meet with a competion for a best shelter,followed by the 3,5 items weekends. The first of the 3 weekends is 1 item is one system but the weather has warmed up by april which is the last weekend, hence just the s/ bag etc

Got ya. Looking forward to it. Anyone going up on the Friday?

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
At the end of day fellas theres nothing set in stone apart from anyone taking part in the 5 items really must be down to 5 items by the last weekend running in April, as stated, the weathers warmer and I will be using a sleeping bag, tarp, a firesteel, a 44 mug and a knife and thats it.
The 5 items weekend should really be about teamwork, if theres 5 people and everyone takes a bag and a tarp,construct a shelter for 5 people ie2 tarps on the ground with 3 strung together overhead. Thats 10 items out of a possible 25. That leaves 15 other items the TEAM can use. Thats why we have 3 weekends, so everyone can try and test the kit and agree on whos binging what and whos doing what, some teams allocate tasks to each other like camp cook, medic, fire bug etc etc

If we stay as individuals, i've listed my 5 items. Do u see how interesting this can get, and of course theres always arguments working as a team. Pros and cons for both :)

Last edited:

freedom

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2011
liverpool
Hi,
Name is Phil and I would be interested in this challenge. I have some experience of cold winter camping but with plenty of equipment, the dates in Jan 2013 I can do. So I will keep eye on the this forum.
Cheers,
Phil

noonan79

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
cheshire
Hi grey, sorry I won't be able to come this time its the baby's first birthday that weekend and I don't think the wife would ever forgive me I went camping. I might be able to pop up on the Saturday with the family just to say hi and have a look at the different setups tho.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Yello chaps. So it looks like I shall indeed be coming to make an inexperienced idiot of myself! Will my DD 3x3 be ok? Don't think I'll be partaking in the 5 items or less, but I am looking to lighten my pack, so I'll remove whatever doesn't affect my bodyheat :p. As for the best improvised shelter, I'll see what I can cook up. Middlewood in early December didn't really give me fair chance to try out anything fancy, not with the quagmire and never ending ruddy rain, but I'm looking forward to a good chance now, and that like darn purdy :D

Cannae wait!

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Dont be worrying about things like in experience, people learn all the time.I've been practicing survival over 20 years but I'm here learning bushcraft. Tents with log burners in em made from PCs, never seen anything like it in my life lol, you got to start somewhere buddy. 3x3 DD is perfect mate, more than big enough. Just enjoy yourself mate

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Yello chaps. So it looks like I shall indeed be coming to make an inexperienced idiot of myself! Will my DD 3x3 be ok? Don't think I'll be partaking in the 5 items or less, but I am looking to lighten my pack, so I'll remove whatever doesn't affect my bodyheat :p. As for the best improvised shelter, I'll see what I can cook up. Middlewood in early December didn't really give me fair chance to try out anything fancy, not with the quagmire and never ending ruddy rain, but I'm looking forward to a good chance now, and that like darn purdy :D

Cannae wait!

Me neither looking forward to trying my ambilite bulb thing, the buggers sent me a purple one but its not too bad.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
+1 to that. No matter if your a survivalist or a Bushcrafter, we practice this hobby cos we love it but we never ever stop learning :)

oh yeah and its definately the Bushcrafters who use an element of survival, not the other way around lol :)
eberure2.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE