Cold weather bivvy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Putting the feelers out for a Cold Weather Bivvy Camp, no tents or hammocks, strictly improvised shelters only. Looking at the last weekend in January, sat and sun 26 & 27. The dates are not set in stone and can be decided between us. This is in preparation for the start of three 5 items of kit weekends, an easy, medium and hard. By this i mean the easy one can be along the lines of 1 item can be a sleep system ( s,bag, mat and bivvy bag) gradually getting harder so we end up with just 5 items. These weekends will be feb, march and april.
The site will be in north yorkshire at Ribblehead Viaduct, will post some pic in a bit.
Everyone welcome, you dont have to participate in the 5 items weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Some pics of the area

atape6e9.jpg

ryvajana.jpg

atyza4yb.jpg

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Nice location, but as far as the snakehole go's I wouldn't believe it would go down too well with lots of people digging holes into the moor!! Also, there dosn't seem to be many sources of fuel to be had !! Not trying to put a downer on the idea - just trying to be constructive :)

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Nice location, but as far as the snakehole go's I wouldn't believe it would go down too well with lots of people digging holes into the moor!! Also, there dosn't seem to be many sources of fuel to be had !! Not trying to put a downer on the idea - just trying to be constructive :)
I get what your saying, its just an example, im not saying you have to do this. We always,always leave the site as we find it, if not cleaner. All holes would be filled in etc etc, you dont think id let people leave holes all over do you, surely. As for fuel, well we usually take our own unless we are in woodland, dont you normally take a bag of logs with you, what do you do for fuel? I've camped this area since i was 13 as an army cadet, the place is close to my heart, i look after it when im there. I know your not trying to put a downer on the idea but you see its not an idea, its an event that happens every year and has done for the last 11 years.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I wouldn't believe it would go down too well with lots of people digging holes into the moor!! Also, there dosn't seem to be many sources of fuel to be had !!QUOTE]

not so sur it would be a good idea on some of the moors... especialy if they were peat... but loads of fuel.....

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I get what your saying, its just an example, im not saying you have to do this. We always,always leave the site as we find it, if not cleaner. All holes would be filled in etc etc, you dont think id let people leave holes all over do you, surely. As for fuel, well we usually take our own unless we are in woodland, dont you normally take a bag of logs with you, what do you do for fuel? I've camped this area since i was 13 as an army cadet, the place is close to my heart, i look after it when im there. I know your not trying to put a downer on the idea but you see its not an idea, its an event that happens every year and has done for the last 11 years.

Sorry, I didn't realise this was a "regular" meet-up. No I don't normally carry my wood in!! If I'm in woodland then I'll use a small amount of standing deadwood - failing that I stick to my trangia :) Are you counting your sack of wood as one of your 5 items ?? :)

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Sorry, I didn't realise this was a "regular" meet-up. No I don't normally carry my wood in!! If I'm in woodland then I'll use a small amount of standing deadwood - failing that I stick to my trangia :) Are you counting your sack of wood as one of your 5 items ?? :)

he he err no.... It wouldn't be fair to do that. No the logs are something we use as a group so not an individual item :).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Just take a stove.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Time to bring this back to life, if theres not much interest in the 5 items camps, I might scrap the idea and just have cold weather camps/meets. You decide guys, I'm going either way as I love Ribblehead in the first months of the year, watching the transformation from winter to spring.
Not sure if I've already mentioned this but its a vehicle camp: ie set up within 20 yards of your vehicle

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'd like to make one in for the 5 n less. Just a bad weekend for me as my youngest comes fortnightly and that's one of his weekends. I've already cleared any do-able dates with swmbo for going away with out her. So I'll watch this space for any other dates in the future :thumbup:

I might even fair better than I did one Halloween night on Bleaklow Moor :eek:
etynede9.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE