Cold Steel Trail Hawk OR Frontier Hawk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Looking at getting a Cold Steel Trail Hawk or Frontier Hawk. Anyone got either and whats your preference. A little advice please.

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
Pay the extra and get a GB. I've had the trail hawk and as a bit of fun it's a good choice but for serious work though there's a reason that the design is no longer very common!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Either is good to be honest you will need to touch it up before use. Fast and light is the idea behind a hawk

sent from the back of beyond using "new-fangled" technology

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I had a trail hawk by the way

sent from the back of beyond using "new-fangled" technology

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have both Trail Hawk and Pipe Hawk. They are a cracking little tool, yeah there not an axe but for light chopping/splitting they are very good. The good thing about them is you can take the head off and use it like a plane or knife and also makes it easy for packing away. I wrap the head and stash it in my pack and just slip the handle down the inside of the pack.

My preference is for the Trail hawk out of the two.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Out of the two, i'd go with frontier hawk. It has a larger bit, which wins it for me. I've had a trail hawk and while ok, the bit is too narrow for my liking. :)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Thanks all so far, Dont want an GB axe really, never felt the need for one. Looking for a light tool like either of these tomahawks for light chopping and light carrying. I am one person who never wants to use an axe other than a light tomahawk with its multi uses.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have a Trail Hawk and did all the mods - regrind, screw out etc. It was a bit of fun to do, and topknot made me a simply beautiful sheath and overstrike protector to go with it. However I have not found much practical use for it, being too small and light, and for any real work would select something else. I know others find them useful tools, but I don't.

Now throwing one might be fun...

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Thanks for all the advice have ordered a Trail Hawk, see how it goes.

Good choice, mine arrived on Tuesday and am in the process of modding it, seems like a good lightweight versatile tool, not as heavy weight as a SFA but it's a different animal and I think it would be unfair to compare them............let us know what you think :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE