Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wortbag

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2004
New Forest/Wiltshire
Hi All,

A quick review as promised some time back...

Straight from the box the knife felt light even in its sheath. On removing the blade from the sheath the handle, though weirdly shaped, sat comfortably in the hand and the thumb naturally found it position on the rear of the blade. A blade which was very sharp!! A quick shave of the forearm told me to be wary :eek:

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

The sheath was made down to a price but it holds the knife safely and even inverted the blade remains in place. The 2 1/4 inch belt loop on the rear is webbing and is stitched securely to the rear of the sheath.

Its first few weeks in my house it remained in the kitchen and this is where I see this knife finding a home. Its blade shape makes slicing effortless, that and its razor sharp edge! At most, a few strokes of the ceramic knife 'steel' brought its edge back without fuss. Very impressed.... but what about bushcrafting?

Easter holidays are upon us and with my daughter in tow we headed off to the woods for a quick test.

IMG_0272.jpg

With the winters windfall we didn't need to use the knife to provide any firewood but it easily made some short feather sticks.

IMG_0276.jpg

Tinder collected, the knife provided a fine shower of sparks from the firesteel, unfortunately this was hard to capture on film but my daughter was doing her best! :rolleyes:

IMG_0277.jpg

With the fire underway we collected some hazel to make our skewers, the knife cut these easily and stripped the bark quickly. The profile of the blade made cutting smooth and the handle shape did not cause any discomfort at all, in fact I'm not sure I even thought about the handle once it was in use... not a bad thing I guess??

Time for lunch. The wilds had provided a pair of fine steaks and after dispatching them with a quick blow to the noggin they were cut and skewered.... Tip: steaks are easy to spot in the wild when they mistakenly use their foil camouflage

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

Soon the steaks were ready...

IMG_0285.jpg

Overall I was very impressed with the belt knife. It isn't the kind of knife you'd baton with or use to down a small tree but it excels at the normal camp chores of preparing food and lighter cutting. Cold Steel make another knife in this series, the 'Finn Bear' I think (a bit scandi from the pictures) and I'm hoping to source one of these soon, If I can find somewhere that doesn't charge as much for postage as the knife!! But I guess that is it's real upside, it's a cheap yet very useful knife.

Hope this is of use to someone, If you want to know anything else just ask.

Wortbag

wortbag

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2004
New Forest/Wiltshire
From the cold steel site...

Our more contemporary version is made out of 4116 Krupp Stainless steel and hollow ground to a razor edge. It will glide through just about any material because its elliptical profile is very efficient at reducing cutting drag.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Wortbag - Glad you're getting on with it.

Sharpening Although mine came shaving sharp out of the box you could see some scratches and uneaveness along the edge. I had a go at improving it as at circa £10 I could afford to make a mistake with it. I used some pretty worn wet and dry to start and smoothd out both the edge and the join between the 2 grinds. After that I've just stropped it on Dremmel polishing paste on a sheet of cardboard and it keeps getting sharper :)

Soft Wood For carving soft wood (pine) it is beautiful and I find it more controllable than my Mora. Despite the curved edge you can still plane pine flat quite easily. I also find it better for making fuzz sticks than the mora due to the curved blade.

Hard Wood On (dry) hard wood it isn't quite as spectacular but still does an admirable job. The thumb grooves can feel a little aggressive at times if you have to use your thumb all the while. The handle is also less comfortable for gripping with a "fist" grip without the thumb in the back than the Mora.

Grind The grind is in theory slightly hollow (concave?) but as you start to sharpen it the transitions smooth out and it begins to be very close to flat.

Handling The handle material is pretty tough and comfortable and although it has picked up a couple of scuffs. Overall the low cost of this knife has encouraged me to play with it a lot more and as much as I hate to admit it it's thin blade and light weight make it closer to a Nessmuk than my custom which cost 6 times the price.
I have done some battoning with it but only through pine so far. It has excelled at that and the curved edge should make it very efficient for this use.

Sheath The sheath is perfectly functional and holds the knife securely. It also holds a Frosts Mora when you mix the pair up as you're playing with them both! To be fair this nylon sheath is better than what you'd get to this price in leather.

Judgement In conclusion it is a great knife and my favourite - it outdoes my SAK because you can use it harder. It is better than my custom Nessmuk as it is closer to his original specification. It is more comfotable and holds a better edge than my Bark River PSK. Most controversial of all I think it is a better budget knife than the red wood handled (No.1) Mora. :yikes:

wortbag

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2004
New Forest/Wiltshire
Hi Sam,

Thanks again for selling me the knife!

Your comments are very welcome as you've had longer to assess the knife. I don't own a mora :eek: so can't comment, but knowing how highly they are rated it takes a brave man to suggest we could have a new budget 'king'!

Hope all is well with you,

wortbag

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Great reviews, Wortbag and Sam. Give those guys a cigar!

I feel tempted to get one to compare to the Grohmann. For what its worth, the Grohmann Boat knife works fine with a baton.

It is interesting that this design of knife works so well. Looks odd but handles great. I never even considered buying one until I was lent one at a meet.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Great review!

At first I was no to impressed with mine! (Felt to light and flimsy)

However after a fair bit of use this knife is becoming one of better users!

I dont think it is suited to heay chopping as it is to light!

But food prep and slicing it is fine for!

I now tend to carry this as opposed to a folder as the weight is so small!

Just my two penneth!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE