Cold Berry Pudding

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'm always on the lookout for berry recipes. I've already made enough jam and wine! ;)

Anyway I just tried this one. It's simple, cheap, quick and tastes good.

This is the recipe as I found it but you can adjust it to suit your taste. Recipe for about four people.

Ingredients
400g raspberries
250g redcurrants
250g blackcurrants
140g sugar
1tbs water
8 thick slice of day-old white bread, crusts removed

Double cream to serve and extra sugar to taste if required.

Method
Place the raspberries in a bowl.
Pick off any stems from the currants and put them in a saucepan with the sugar and water. Cook for a few minutes until the juices run.
Add to the raspberries.

Have a 1ltr pudidng bowl, pyrex bowl or something similar ready that is large enough to take the fruit. Line the base with a slice of the bread and cut it to the shape of the bottom of the bowl. Place the other slices around the sides making sure not to leave any gaps.

When the bowl is lined fill it with the fruit mixture and pack it down hard. Place a final slice of bread on the top and cut it to fit. Press this down with a plate and leave overnight in the fridge or somewhere cool. During this time the juices will saturate the bread.

When ready to serve tip the bowl upside down onto a plate and it will all hold together.

This can be eaten as it is or served with double cream and sugar. You can also freeze this dish so if you've got lots of berries it's a good way to use them up.

You can adapt this recipe to use whatever berries you've got to hand. It might work well with blackberries, elderberries, blueberries, etc. You don't have to use exact quantities either. I like a slightly sour taste so I used less sugar and I used unrefined sugar instead of white. I had more redcurrants than black so I just used them instead.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I'm always on the lookout for berry recipes. I've already made enough jam and wine! ;)

Anyway I just tried this one. It's simple, cheap, quick and tastes good.

This is the recipe as I found it but you can adjust it to suit your taste. Recipe for about four people.

Ingredients
400g raspberries
250g redcurrants
250g blackcurrants
140g sugar
1tbs water
8 thick slice of day-old white bread, crusts removed

Double cream to serve and extra sugar to taste if required.

Method
Place the raspberries in a bowl.
Pick off any stems from the currants and put them in a saucepan with the sugar and water. Cook for a few minutes until the juices run.
Add to the raspberries.

Have a 1ltr pudidng bowl, pyrex bowl or something similar ready that is large enough to take the fruit. Line the base with a slice of the bread and cut it to the shape of the bottom of the bowl. Place the other slices around the sides making sure not to leave any gaps.

When the bowl is lined fill it with the fruit mixture and pack it down hard. Place a final slice of bread on the top and cut it to fit. Press this down with a plate and leave overnight in the fridge or somewhere cool. During this time the juices will saturate the bread.

When ready to serve tip the bowl upside down onto a plate and it will all hold together.

This can be eaten as it is or served with double cream and sugar. You can also freeze this dish so if you've got lots of berries it's a good way to use them up.

You can adapt this recipe to use whatever berries you've got to hand. It might work well with blackberries, elderberries, blueberries, etc. You don't have to use exact quantities either. I like a slightly sour taste so I used less sugar and I used unrefined sugar instead of white. I had more redcurrants than black so I just used them instead.

Thanks for the recipe! Our Raspberry bushes are very heavy with fruit right now and this will help eat them up!:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
By the way I came all "Twin Peaks" when I saw the "Cherry Pie" that he made, " ... that's a mighty fine pie, Ma'am..." I thought.
GB

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'm reviving this thread because with the hot weather I've got an abundance of berries early this year and I thought that some of you might too. Cold pudding is a delicious way to eat whatever soft fruits you've got at hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE