Colchester Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Here's an open invitation to anyone in the Colchester and surrounding area to join a new group in North Essex. We have a few areas locally and also around Suffolk and we go out once or twice a month. (currently with Suffolk Group)
I also have a local farmer who has a lot of woodland who is thinking about allowing a permanent base next year.
This is great fun for any extra forces out there who want to rekindle some old skills with like minded people. But also open to anyone regardless of the background.

Pull up a sandbag and join us............ Add your name here if interested.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi all

I am from Ipswich not to far from Colchester, already know Paul well, as he is part of Suffolk Bushcraft Group, Hope you get a good group up Paul, Hope you will still come play with the Suffolk Guys?

I hope you dont mind Paul if I just let people know about the Suffolk meet after Xmas?

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
The more the merrier, is everyone coming out to play on 29th? I just treated myself to some whoopie slings from DD Hammocks and getting a leather hat and woodgas stove for crimbo woohoo

Sent using Tapatalk

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Anyone tried this place?

Bouncers
Wickham Bishops, Essex

As anyone from that neck of the woods will tell you, there's far more to Essex than Dagenham. Indeed, travel to the north of the county and the countryside is positively Suffolkian.

And in case you are in any doubt about just how bucolic it can get, for a small fee Bouncers' owner Ann will collect you from Witham station in her pony and trap. Her campsite is spread across a smallholding boasting seven acres of woods and just 10 pitches, so there are plenty of nooks and crannies to hide away in. You can even bring a hammock and string it up between the 300-year-old trees.

No tent? No problem. There are two large tents available, or you can splash out on the two Gypsy caravans and cook your supper in the cauldron over an open fire. Just one word of warning – if it's peace and quiet you're after, you might want to avoid 9–10 July, the one weekend a year when the site plays host to open-air opera.

Easter–Oct and Christmas/New Year; from £12 per pitch per night (1 adult), £4 per extra adult per night, £3 per child (under 16) per night, pre-erected tents from £20 per night, Gypsy caravans (sleeps up to 5) £80 per night; 01621 894112

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
went solo to a local wood yesterday at 3:30pm. managed to get the hammock setup before dark, then on with the woodgas stove, this time i had brought 150ml of cat litter wood pellets to try, they lasted a good hour and half with no smoke and lots of heat, no way to regulate as you can do with sticks. had a pouch of Adventure foods (go outdoors) curry and fruit with rice, it was ok, say no more.
was chilly on the face all night and Mr Fox kept barking, wish i'd brought my gun.
Woke to a bright morning, a few hailstones and a hot brekkie , broke camp and left only footprints.IMG-20130112-00066.jpgIMG-20130112-00067.jpgIMG-20130113-00068.jpgIMG-20130113-00069.jpgIMG-20130113-00070.jpgIMG-20130113-00071.jpgIMG-20130113-00072.jpgIMG-20130113-00073.jpgIMG-20130113-00074.jpgIMG-20130113-00075.jpgIMG-20130113-00076.jpgIMG-20130113-00077.jpgIMG-20130113-00078.jpgIMG-20130113-00079.jpgIMG-20130113-00080.jpg

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice little night out there, Paul, Shame I could not make it, I am thinking about next sat night.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I got to try out my new woopies which were amazing, no bounce, no sag, no bum on the floor at midnight. Be nice to see a few new faces on 2nd

Sent using Tapatalk

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Sat 2nd at orchards looks like it may be

1. Stu
2. Paul
3. Tony
4. Nick

would be good to get a few more..

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Hi there I was thinking about joining you all on the 2nd if I can. What do you do roughly? And how much money would I need. Thanks

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Hi zeon98,
You would be very welcome, we practice our setups, make a group meal from scratch, get a fire going using different methods we have seen on here. Have a good chat, just generally relax and enjoy.
Follow Suffolk Bushcraft group for details of 2nd, it's £5 for the night and we all chip in for a Barrow of wood £7 split. We believe in doing it free as much as possible, but sometimes it's nice to have some facilities nearby.
I'm out in Colchester this Saturday in a local wood if you would like to meet up.
Paul

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi there I was thinking about joining you all on the 2nd if I can. What do you do roughly? And how much money would I need. Thanks

Anyones welcom

As Paul has said we treat it as each peron wants to , we set up get together, collect the wood , join in with anything else like cooking, some time I may do a bit of carving, make a tripod for hanging our pots, its hard to get anything really good going in a over nighter in the winter, and being on a camp site, come the spring we will be going out , having more time to do Bushy things, hopefully this year get a home wood as well that will give us more scope.

If Paul brings his axe and a file we'll try to sort that out as well.. if your looking to try kit and set up , get some tips , join in we dont bite, we is friendly, all we ask is you take part, gain and share any knowagle/tips,

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Sounds good. Just got to find out if I can get out that weekend. Hope fully I'll join you. Thanks.

No problem mate , as Paul has said anyone is welcome, The loo was a bit basic last time, think it was the gardners in an outhouse on the side of the house, but hey it worked, did not have loo paper, lol.

I will try to confrim what faciltys are open the week before, last winter we were there and the main loos were shut as he was doing work on them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE