Coffee beans bag clip whittle !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have a feeling I need to try to carve a such piece.
Tech question: do you want the grain to run with the ‘piece’ or slightly ‘off’?
I am thinking of the splitting possibility.

I have some well dried Scandi Silver Birch, would that be good enough?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I am a bit of a coffee nerd, when it comes to equipment and beans.

Right now, I am making a ‘positive’ in wood, for a tamper. A friend will cast it in Bronze, and the handle will be a Femur from a sheep I found while having a stroll in the mountains in Lofoten.

I know........ should watch more Netflix instead!

Reactions: Billy-o

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I am a bit of a coffee nerd, when it comes to equipment and beans.

Right now, I am making a ‘positive’ in wood, for a tamper. A friend will cast it in Bronze, and the handle will be a Femur from a sheep I found while having a stroll in the mountains in Lofoten.

I know........ should watch more Netflix instead!
You are kidding?
That's awesome if you're not, and I think you're not. Pics when finished please?
From one nerd to another

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You are kidding?
That's awesome if you're not, and I think you're not. Pics when finished please?
From one nerd to another
I can send you a photo by email. PM me. Never done a photo through ne of those hosting sites. Do not worry, I will not sell your email address to either your Nigerian dead uncles lawyer, or that Ukrainian doctor that loves me.
:)

It is really simple, my work. I need to make a wooden positive, slightly larger. Supply this together with the bronze bits ( bronze water or gas fittings - local shop type B&Q
) to a friend that will cast, and shape on a lathe. Bone needs to be whitened as it has some dirty areas, using H2O2. Seal surface somehow.

I want to use Bronze as it is softer than the standard s/s tampers, and I do not want to scratch the new portafilters.
Plus, if he can cast well, I am going to make a couple of knife blades, and make some nice knifes. One for him as a ‘thank you’

Nothing to it, really, the difficult part is done by my friend.

I store my beans in the freezer, I buy bulk. Only have one weeks supply by the grinder. Use now an older coffee tin, but have a piece of reindeer skin I have wanted to make a Saame inspired bag from.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a fist full of old birch blanks for spoons and forks from years ago.
I'll crib your plan, if you don't mind.
I can think of many bag types beyond coffee for those closers.

The coffee bean roaster business in my village uses self-sealing bean bags.
But,I'm fond of the salty goodness in most kinds of fried junk foods.

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
Janne
I used really green wood a piece of branch wood about the right diameter
The important bit is the hole which needs to be about half the diameter of the branch this spreads the stresses at the end of the cut stopping it splitting further with the grain running straight along the piece

Hey Robson
Crib away it’s not my design I copied it out of Barn the Spoons book called Woodcraft published May 2019 lots of good stuff there within !
Gaz

Reactions: Billy-o

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I can send you a photo by email. PM me. Never done a photo through ne of those hosting sites. Do not worry, I will not sell your email address to either your Nigerian dead uncles lawyer, or that Ukrainian doctor that loves me.
:)

It is really simple, my work. I need to make a wooden positive, slightly larger. Supply this together with the bronze bits ( bronze water or gas fittings - local shop type B&Q
) to a friend that will cast, and shape on a lathe. Bone needs to be whitened as it has some dirty areas, using H2O2. Seal surface somehow.

I want to use Bronze as it is softer than the standard s/s tampers, and I do not want to scratch the new portafilters.
Plus, if he can cast well, I am going to make a couple of knife blades, and make some nice knifes. One for him as a ‘thank you’

Nothing to it, really, the difficult part is done by my friend.

I store my beans in the freezer, I buy bulk. Only have one weeks supply by the grinder. Use now an older coffee tin, but have a piece of reindeer skin I have wanted to make a Saame inspired bag from.
Nice, will do.
I used to buy in bulk myself but I've taken to roasting it myself these days. It's pretty simple to start with, but the rabbit hole runs pretty deep!
After tasting freshly roasted coffee the difference is quite something, plus you can get it just how like (most of the time).
I recommend giving it a go, you don't need to spend a fortune, it's good fun and satisfying to do.
I'm happy to share details, which might involve another post or pms as this is going off bushcraft topic a bit.
Apologies if it is.

Reactions: Janne and Billy-o

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE