coal fungus/king alfreds cake

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 6, 2009
leicester
Hi folks i am wondering ray mears and others say you can start a fire with this fungus.but before i do i need to know is it freindly or can it harm you weather i touch it or inhale the smoke whilst starting to burn.hope you can advise thanks paul.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Hi Paul,

you can safely touch and handle this fungus and the smoke is as far as I know not more dangerous than woodsmoke. The smoke has a distinctive odour that I quite like. For firestarting you'll need a dry specimen (you know if it is dry enough if it feels light, not heavy). First try and light some with an open flame, if it's good it will start to smoulder for a long time and is not easy to put out. Then try the same with the sparks from a swedish firesteel. If it doesn't work try to scrape some of the fungus into a powder and direct the sparks onto that. I have also lit cramp balls with a magnifying glass and with a parabolic mirror (the shiny mirror out of a small torchlight) in bright sunlight. Cramp balls will also work in fire pistons, lighting it with a flint and steel is trickier.

Cheers,

Tom

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
You can also use them in place of charcoal if you want lots of heat but no flame it seems the smoke it gives off acts as a insect repellent as well a very useful fungus
ps ask scrumpy to post his pics of some he found.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I would totally recommend making shavings with it instead of doing it as a whole.
I must say that picture makes to look very young Scrumpy.

He's actually got a condition called elfisim which stunts growth he is only 3ft 6in and it also makes him appear like a young child although he's 32 it has its up sides though as he is very close to the ground he makes a great tracker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE