Clothing conundrum...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The forecast freezing cold, utterly bitter winter seems to have missed us here down in the south-west; instead, it's been wet (very), windy (very) and mild (annoyingly).

Now, I know that there are lots of established theories about layering and so on for trips in the outdoors but does anyone have any tips or tricks of the trade to cope with this appallingly wet, miserable, mild winter? Staying indoors is NOT an option: the dogs have to be walked and anyway, being 'out in it' is actually quite fun.

Suggestions or tips from experience would be most welcome!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a hooded long raincoat :eek:

I look like a wee brown wren but I'm warm, dry and comfortable.

Himself just wears either his wool bushshirt or a Slioch goretex jacket.

They are all relatively long, unlike much of the recent fashion in outdoor kit....."athletic fit"......that really, really does not fit the majority of people or keep them dry either.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My tip is windproof is more important that waterproof. If you get wet, so long as you don't have windchill, in mild conditions you will be okay. We were felling trees in driving rain and wind last week. I was wearing an old fleece, 5.11 cargos and a T shirt. No problem at all. Of course I wasn't sat around like a slug, I was working so generating heat. Had I donned a goretex waterproof it would have been ripped in two minutes and a sweatbox in one. I just got wet but stayed warm through work. Then I went inside, bunged the whole lot in the washing machine and put on dry clothes (I was out in it for about six hours). So my advice - its okay to get wet! You don't dissolve and if working hard it can be pleasantly cooling. So long as the wind isn't hitting you hard and chilling you and so long as you can get out of the wet stuff quickly when you stop, don't worry too much :)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
We get 80" of rain normally and had over 120" in 2012. Walking dogs and feeding up at least twice daily.

For dog walking, if its raining hard I wear an oversized Ridge line monsoon smock with breathable waterproof trousers. For walking in the hilIs I wear Paramo and keep it proofed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
For dog walking, if its raining hard I wear an oversized Ridge line monsoon smock with breathable waterproof trousers.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

+ 1 on that, i also use an oversize monsoon smock, but combine mine with wax cotton leggings, not the ones that fat birds wear(do they wear wax cotton ?)the ones that press stud down the legs & fasten on the belt. Makes me waterproof/widproof & happy when i wear it & the weathers bad !.

Rob

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My tip is windproof is more important that waterproof. If you get wet, so long as you don't have windchill, in mild conditions you will be okay. We were felling trees in driving rain and wind last week. I was wearing an old fleece, 5.11 cargos and a T shirt. No problem at all. Of course I wasn't sat around like a slug, I was working so generating heat. Had I donned a goretex waterproof it would have been ripped in two minutes and a sweatbox in one. I just got wet but stayed warm through work. Then I went inside, bunged the whole lot in the washing machine and put on dry clothes (I was out in it for about six hours). So my advice - its okay to get wet! You don't dissolve and if working hard it can be pleasantly cooling. So long as the wind isn't hitting you hard and chilling you and so long as you can get out of the wet stuff quickly when you stop, don't worry too much :)
As my old Mum used to say as she booted us out into the rain to play "You're not made of sugar - are you?"

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The forecast freezing cold, utterly bitter winter seems to have missed us here down in the south-west; instead, it's been wet (very), windy (very) and mild (annoyingly).

Now, I know that there are lots of established theories about layering and so on for trips in the outdoors but does anyone have any tips or tricks of the trade to cope with this appallingly wet, miserable, mild winter? Staying indoors is NOT an option: the dogs have to be walked and anyway, being 'out in it' is actually quite fun.

Suggestions or tips from experience would be most welcome!

A Buffalo top, not one of the winter ones though, as you will cook. Something like a Teclite shirt or similar, you will get wet, you will stay warm and if you can hang it up a warmish place it'll probably be dry for the next day.

:)

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a long loden wool coat from Austria which is my 'go to' coat when walking in the rain. Not too warm, very rain resistant and long enough to protect my legs I much prefer it to my wax cotton coat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE