Clothes and fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good old wool - now you know why Swanndri dont make tinder! lol!

Good films mate, predictable but good!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Gary said:
Good old wool - now you know why Swanndri dont make tinder! lol!

Good films mate, predictable but good!

Bu it´s a bit scary when you see how the fleece just melts, not fun to get melting fleece on your body. I wonder how the swedish army shirt would work, they are made of cotton/polyester and a material called polychlal that are supposed to make them burn proof (like all the clothing in the army).

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
I'm a fleece guy myself for all the good reasons fleece is known for, however, if I had a homestead I would certainly stock it with my military wool (and civy jumpers) for everyday work clothes.

I still use wool socks so I can fire walk in safety with the natives :D

For years I've worn polyester/cotton work wear. It's cheap, wears like iron,dries quickly and is very spark resistant. The beauty of it being cheap is that over here I need different sizes because in winter my wool underwear is the type that looks like a thick sweater. I wear fleece, but under a wool jacket, because I have open fires almost every time out.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I think that the cotton would have been an even bigger fire if it had hung open like the others - having seen on a first aid course what people wearing cotton on fire look like and their burns, it's horrific stuff. After all, fluffed up cotton socks are one of the best tinders I know! :)

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
OhCanada said:
I'm a fleece guy myself for all the good reasons fleece is known for, however, if I had a homestead I would certainly stock it with my military wool (and civy jumpers) for everyday work clothes.

I still use wool socks so I can fire walk in safety with the natives :D

Trick is to wear a natural material outer over the fleece Jimbo, that said I did burn a big hole int he hood of a favourite ventile smock some time around - but better a smouldering smock than a melting one!

Johan have you ever tried making char from polycotton? I have the polyester turns to little balls and as such I'd say your polycotton would scorch and smoulder too - so its pretty safe.

Fire safe is one thing, current clothing for task and enviroment is another but neither replace common sense and a little respect for the power of ol' mother nature and Brother Fire!

Yep, Gary, I'm pretty careful to wear one of my old wool jackets over top. Well I am now after finding holes melted in the fleece!

I had trouble watching the videos properly since I use Linux and mplayer plugin had some trouble. Luckily avifile-player plays them fine. Now that I've seen the videos clearly, one observation is that they use a butane torch just like one I have. It burns pretty hot! I guess though that practical experience and appearing holes show how fleece and synthetics are a bit of a hazard.

The major learning experience fo rme is that in this wet place I use a synthetic fill sleeping bag. I'm sure going to be more careful! Before I was just concerned about getting holes in it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE