Climate Change I hope this is not to political but it is so important

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Interesting sidebar - when I learnt Latin at school, we were taught "beginner's" conjugation using Paro ("I fight/make war"). Girls schools learnt Amo ("I love"). Sexism? Or the simple realisation that if you give a boy a doll, he'll make believe it's a Stuka:)

Must admit to admiring the self-adoration posts though! Although, truth be told, I have found over the last 40+ years in the "real world", 50 countries and 6 continents, that full/part-time "educators" (and I'm assuming here we're talking about teachers/lecturers rather than placard-wearing weirdies at Speakers Corner, although come to think of it, it applies to them too) tend to be fairly insulated from it............

Reminds me of the joke where the old RAF pilot is telling a class of children about being attacked over the English Channel by a couple of German Fokkers. The punchline was something about Messerschmidts! I can't really remember how it went or why it was funny!

I would agree that many 'educators', particularly at Universities, are insulated from the real World, that is the problem. They are dressed in the robes of a false priesthood and reside in Cathedrals of Scientism and Academia. Some love how their students look to them as the wells of knowledge and truth where in fact they know little more and sometimes less. Back to Socrates again.

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
"with out"-without

"Faux pa"-faux pas

Happy to help.

Sorry, long standing in joke on the Faux pa front.

You have me on the 'with out', typo with teh space bar whilst tryingto talk on teh phobne at thesame time

I'll go back over your posts if we have switched to helpful mode shall I? :D

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If it pleases you and I am sure that there will be loads but I have never put myself up as judge of modern education.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
If it pleases you and I am sure that there will be loads but I have never put myself up as judge of modern education.

Nothing wrong with being well informed and using good judgement, you should try it. Sorry that was a doggy comment well below the waterline boatman! :D

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I was bored with this before...now it's fun. It has nothing at all to do with bushcraft or much else, but some people are really showing their colours. :soapbox::lmao:

Perhaps we should return to the politics of climate change, it's safer.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
sticker,375x360.png

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Considering that CO2 is a limiting factor in plant growth has anyone thought that perhaps doubling the level of C02 in the atmosphere from 0.04% would actually increase crop yields and decrease individual water demand? Crop yield and land usage is as big an issue, the added CO2 would have little overall climatic effect and yield could become even more of an issue as the the Sun may be entering a Maunder Minimum phase. We may now actually be doing the very opposite of what is good for us not withstanding the totalitarian regime planned for saving the Planet from runaway warming cooling warming cooling. The 'on the ground' implementation of UN Agenda 21 infringes every natural right we have.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25743806

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
There I would tend to agree with you. CO2 increase should increase plant growth and that of carbon fixing organisms in the sea. I have written before of a possible Ice Age. For a SF scary book on the subject read "The Sixth Winter" by Douglas Orgill or the non-fiction writings of Sir Fred Hoyle.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I normally notice people start quoting Latin when the realise they are losing the argument.

I guess they imagine that people will be intimidated into submission in some way.

Lol that is proberly right I have a hard time with english latin will just make me say what are you go ing on a bout lol

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
There I would tend to agree with you. CO2 increase should increase plant growth and that of carbon fixing organisms in the sea. I have written before of a possible Ice Age. For a SF scary book on the subject read "The Sixth Winter" by Douglas Orgill or the non-fiction writings of Sir Fred Hoyle.

Ah yes, I have a lot of time for Sir Fred Hoyle. Here he is commenting on the undergraduate school system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7UOTxpqAWo

I would highly recommend watching him in 'Cosmology Quest 1 and 2' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmotCQCxQEI
You will also see Dr. Halton Arp who has recently just past and he has been referred to as a modern day Galileo.

Very interesting what they are suggesting here and they have led the way for further research and development of Plasma Cosmology and the Electric Universe Model.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I didn't know what 'The Trivium and Quadrivium' were, so I looked them up.

If you think that grammar, logic, rhetoric, arithmetic, geometry, music, astronomy etc are not taught in schools then I suggest you go back to school.

Music? Not here, not as such anyway. Although "Band" is an option for thise who join the schoolband.

Logic? Nope. Never even heard of it as a course.

Astronomy? Well, partly. In the elementary grades it's a chapter in the general science course. In high school, it might be available as an elective if you attend a large enough school; otherwise the science options will be limited to Chemistry, Biology, and Physics.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Reminds me of the joke where the old RAF pilot is telling a class of children about being attacked over the English Channel by a couple of German Fokkers. The punchline was something about Messerschmidts! I can't really remember how it went or why it was funny!....

I remember. But it isn't a suitable joke for a family forum.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
You were taught latin in school?

Of course, we still learn and speak five languages over here, don't you? We would also say we learn a sixth but we can't bring ourselves to class American as a language! :D

As for the joke, yes I know. ;)

And the fact that people actually think the Trivium and Quadrivium are taught in school here says a lot really!

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Perhaps it's a dual entendre when they call them "greenhouse" gasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE