Cleaning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Wipe it dry after use if it's damp and, if I remember to, oil it with a bit walnut oil when I get home.

Other than that, not a lot :)

Just remember how rust starts... if you keep it dry and in dry conditions then you'll not have to worry about rust forming.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You have to watch out for plant sap and resins which are difficult to remove from a blade but if you don't, they will etch the edge and trap rust. I use WD40, alcohol, acetone, goo gone, brake cleaner, or some types of oils (like Ballistol) to remove this sticky gunk. Whatever works. Same is true if you cut things like packing tape, which leaves a sticky residue. After that, any sort of tenacious oil or wax will keep the blade from rusting.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I use alcohol hand gel (convenient pocket sized dispenser bottle) to get resins or saps off the blade, but avoid getting it on nice shiny varnished or lacquered handle materials though. Then camelia oil on the blade and tung oil on raw wooden scales.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Soapy water and some cooking oil, mate.

Anything else is just obsessive and anal.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Until the cooking oil goes rancid....:tongue-ti

If you use it, it will wear off and a fresh coat can be applied. And I've never, ever had food grade oil go rancid. It can polymerise and go rubbery on so surfaces but never rank.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I use degreaser from work, takes anything off easily then a wipe with 3 in 1 to finish.

Make sure the sheath is dry, and oiled now and then if leather.

Tonyuk

Wash with hot water if needed, but usually just wipe it.
Then Dry it and give it a light coating of oil and pop it back in its sheath.

i have an old bottle of contact lens cleaner its tiny and i keep my oil in there, simple 3 in 1 oil, dont know what the 3 are but it stops my knives getting rusty and also stops my doors squeeking at home ... bonus

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If very dirty, a few drops of washing liquid, massage in with fingers, then wash off under water. Dry. A drop of Mineral Oil on a finger, rub it in.
If just a little bit dirty, I omit the washing up liquid.
Treat all my knives like that, including my Japanese kitchen knives. Those are really, really, REALLY rust prone, but mineral oil keeps them happy.
According to instructions online, an oil from Magnolia should be used, but I can not buy that stuff here.

Never use olive oil, or any other cooking oils.

Leather scabbards - shoe oil ( Mink oil) on the outside when new, to impregnate.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
If very dirty, a few drops of washing liquid, massage in with fingers, then wash off under water. Dry. A drop of Mineral Oil on a finger, rub it in.
If just a little bit dirty, I omit the washing up liquid.
Treat all my knives like that, including my Japanese kitchen knives. Those are really, really, REALLY rust prone, but mineral oil keeps them happy.
According to instructions online, an oil from Magnolia should be used, but I can not buy that stuff here.

Never use olive oil, or any other cooking oils.

Leather scabbards - shoe oil ( Mink oil) on the outside when new, to impregnate.

I completely and utterly disagree.

They work fine and I've used them on outdoor broom handles, axes, knives and leather for about 10 years with never an issue. Only see rubbery oil scum on the top of my toolbox linseed oil bottle.

Any more of this blasphemy and I shall indeed challange thee to a duel! ;)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
mostly I just wipe it on my trousers and don't worry about it :lmao:

I don't think I've oiled one of my own knives in about 15 years. I clean them with whatever gets whatever is on there of, so that could be water, soap, cellulose thinners, etc; then I dry it and get on with life

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wash it in hot, soapy water to clean it. No need to protect it from rust as long as you actually use it.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I completely and utterly disagree.

They work fine and I've used them on outdoor broom handles, axes, knives and leather for about 10 years with never an issue. Only see rubbery oil scum on the top of my toolbox linseed oil bottle.

Any more of this blasphemy and I shall indeed challange thee to a duel! ;)

Yes, linseed oil, both raw and boiled is very good. Food oils can go rank.
I accept the duel, and as the opponent that got asked, I choose weapon and type of duellinh
Ok?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yes, linseed oil, both raw and boiled is very good. Food oils can go rank.
I accept the duel, and as the opponent that got asked, I choose weapon and type of duellinh
Ok?

Eek! boiled is full of chemicals! never use the stuff.

Ok, a duel it is. One condition, you don't make fun of my dress? :D

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Warm soapy water to clean and what ever oil wax fat or lard that i have in the field to protect blade.
Once home clean with whatever is required to remove grime then wd40 and store wrapped in paper.
clean sheath with damp cloth and dry leather slowly and apply sno seal.
Warm soapy water on kydex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE