cinnamon apple skillet cake.....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's gorgeous Steve, soft and moist. Somewhere between apple crumble and German apple cake. A good use for a skillet.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hugh that looks and sounds fantastic. What sort of dowry are you looking for for your daughter? :D
Going to give that a go sometime soon. Go better with custard or ice-cream you think?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just had seconds...I think ice cream Colin...melting over the warm cake!

... with a drizzle of rosehip syrup on top! (I'm off to lay down in a cold, darkened room).
Hmm, I've now apples just now but the rhubarb is up, may try a wee substitution. Cheers for posting up, haven't done any.baking in ages.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Did you have to post this on a day when it's already 30C in the shade?
Very nicely presented, too.

Probably be 27C or more in the kitchen by 6PM. Might as well do fish&chips.
What's another degree or two.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That looks so good that I am now looking to buy a cast skillet......

You can see how cleanly the cake lifts out too - no sticking.

A deep cast iron skillet is amazingly versatile. Roasting dish, saucepan, frying pan, bread tin all in one. Seems a shame to only use them in the woods.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a distinct nutritional value in that a substantial fraction of your daily iron requirement can be met simply by frying 2 eggs in a cast iron pan.
Properly seasoned and NEVER washed with detergents, my CA pans are about as nonstick as my woks.
As you demonstrate, most suitable for many oven-finished dishes.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
There's a distinct nutritional value in that a substantial fraction of your daily iron requirement can be met simply by frying 2 eggs in a cast iron pan.
Properly seasoned and NEVER washed with detergents, my CA pans are about as nonstick as my woks.
As you demonstrate, most suitable for many oven-finished dishes.

Are there any health issues with using cast iron then?

denny 😊

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Are there any health issues with using cast iron then?

denny 😊

Well eating two fried eggs a day may not do your cholesterol levels much good. :D
We've been iron pans for so long and I've never heard anyone posit negative views as to it. Some food tasted better being cooked im iron pans. I remember the.blurb that came with some French skillets I bought talking about the +effects.
Though I did mean to ask one of our American chums the other week as they said they don't cook tomato dishes in iron pans and I wondered why.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You have to be careful with acidic foods in them. The iron leaches and it makes any food kind of 'black' looking. Not good to leave food in them either.

I have both iron and stainless steel.
The iron girdle is the only iron 'pot' that I can be bothered using with any regularity, but then I don't fry much, though I do use a non stick sauté pan, and I do leave leftovers in that for the next day's lunch. If I left them in an iron pot they'd be mucky looking, and sometimes you can taste the metallic tang.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers M,
Never seem to.have those problems. Maybe I eat it all to quickly and it never gets a chance to go mucky :D keep the pots well seasoned too so that may help.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You know one thing I'm impressed with this cake skillet thing is that Hugh was able to restrain himself long enough to take pictures before tucking in :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its just a memory now though :(

Have to console myself with BBs raspberry coconut cake.

Life is tough.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheers M,
Never seem to.have those problems. Maybe I eat it all to quickly and it never gets a chance to go mucky :D keep the pots well seasoned too so that may help.

It's why LeCreuset and Denby enamel theirs inside :)
I have a genuine CarronValley iron cauldron, it's sound and it's good to cook in, but it's missing it's top plate and lid.
The 'plate' was a shallow domed one that fitted over the top of the pot, and the lid fitted over the top of that to create a space where one could bake bread…..or BR's apple cake :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE