Prune and walnut log

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Recent comments about enjoying fruit cake with a slab of cheese prompted me to post up this recipe. For those of us who adore a slab of cheese with something fruity, I urge you to give it a try!

Sling 750g (a pint and a half) of dried prunes in a food processor

750g Prunes by British Red, on Flickr

Add the juice of a lemon

Juice one lemon by British Red, on Flickr

Leave for half an hour then add a couple of tablespoons of honey

T tablespoons of honey by British Red, on Flickr

Blitz into a coarse paste

Blitz by British Red, on Flickr

Grab about a dozen walnuts

Good handful walnuts by British Red, on Flickr

Chop them roughly and mix in a bowl with the prunes

Add nuts by British Red, on Flickr

Use clean hands to make logs about the size of a toilet roll liner. Wrap these in cellophane or cling film and tie with a ribbon

Wrap by British Red, on Flickr

These will store for several months without refrigeration - just keep in a tupperware box.

Store by British Red, on Flickr

These are gooey and dark and sweet with enough "crunch" for an interesting texture. A slice of the log with a good wedge of strong cheese is a real treat - and no manky refined sugar or preservatives either.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was never a huge fan of prunes - always reminded me of grannies "prune juice".

My wife discovered this recipe - and who knew that a dried plum was rich and dark and sticky sweet? I'm sure you will enjoy with cheese - we do :)

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Dried prunes and dates are two of my favourites to munch on ,and I like cheese and jam ,so that is right up my street ,,cheers

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It no doubt tastes great ... but I fear it's dietry effects.... and "Log" is about right for its looks....
It should go well with "Black Bomber"....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Man that sounds oh so very good. I can imagine the sticky lovelyness of that with a good cheese and a glass of port. (Pity I'm skint, might make in time for Christmas).
Do they improve with ageing a little Red? (Or don't they get a chance?)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They must be wrapped to age GB because they will form a sort of crust otherwise. honestly don't think they improve after a week or so - the prunes being already aged.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought prunes this afternoon :D £1 a bag in poundstretcher where I went to buy fatballs for the birds; 'twas a bargain, and I like soft dried plums :D

I like walnuts too though, so this will be tried :D I have left over brandy from cakes too. Might do well in the mix ?

Oatcakes, rich cheese, slice of pruney roll....that'll do nicely methinks :D

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You think a tot of dark rum or whisky in there would work? I'm really liking the sound of them.

You get about five logs from a batch (yes I know how they look and sound John - sorry :()

It would seem appropriate to try a dram in one wouldn't it? You must let me know if you do - as the same thought had occurred to me. Having spent the last couple of weeks adding booze to dried fruit in the form of puddings and cakes, it always seems to work so....how bad can it be?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You get about five logs from a batch (yes I know how they look and sound John - sorry :()

It would seem appropriate to try a dram in one wouldn't it? You must let me know if you do - as the same thought had occurred to me. Having spent the last couple of weeks adding booze to dried fruit in the form of puddings and cakes, it always seems to work so....how bad can it be?

I will do and shall raise a glass to yourself for popping up the recipe.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Probably two of my least favourite foods I'm afraid Red, in fact there's a lot of food this time of year that I just can't face eating.

Stollen (although I love marzipan), mince pies, Christmas cake & Christmas pudding, they all make me want to puke just thinking about it

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I prefer the really big half pound bars. I don't know when they made soap bars smaller but I like a big man sized hunk of soap. Muffin moulds work well too

Large soap by British Red, on Flickr

But it seems the women in my life like soap "pretty" rather than or scrubbing grease and gunk off. Who am I to argue? (sigh)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE