Cinch 2 Entrance Tents - The Ultimate Pop Up - Kickstarter Discount - 2, 3 & 4 man.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I've been following these guys for a good while now and I must say I am very impressed. I haven't found a bad review of these tents yet.

cinch_.jpg

I'm looking to get a 4 man version as a weekend and base site tent and Neil & Clare are looking to get a 3 man version for a quick deploy overnighter or weekend tent. I also have a double skinned pop up 1 Man Quechua which is good but not as good.

[video=youtube;uXq2S40QjxI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXq2S40QjxI[/video]

The upcoming 2015 models are bigger and better than previous models with improvements in size, accessories, windows, etc.
See a video of the 2015 model on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...cinch-the-ultimate-pop-up-tent-with-solar-pow

http://www.cinchpopuptents.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/cinchpopuptents

http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/...-pop-up-where-you-least-expect-them-1-6950544

If you are looking for an easy, roomy, fast deploy and pack away, reliable, high spec. pop up tent then I think these are right at the top and excellent value for what you get. Last year's stock of these were snapped up in 2 weeks.

Yes, they have an entrance, extendable canopy and porch at both ends so you have storage, access choice and excellent ventilation.

I have no connection with the company apart from the fact I want one but I thought I'd highlight this excellent bit of kit and that it is discounted for pre-orders through Kickstarter. At least two of these will be appearing at the Moot. ;) One may even have a hammock slung through it!

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Interesting, but looks like hard work in a high wind (b.ut what tent isn't?). The packed up size is huge though

Yep, it isn't for backpacking. :lmao:That said, the disk of the Quechua 1 Man is very small and straps nicely onto the back of a large rucksack. The Quechua 2 Man is folded in the same figure of eight manner so should pack smaller than a standard 2 man pop up. Looking at the 4 Man Cinch folded it looks comparable in diameter to most pop ups of a smaller capacity. It is the figure 8 fold that improves the diameter over some others.

I think someone would have more luck getting this deployed in a wind than most others similar sized tents and I'm guessing it has been wind tunnel tested. Stick one end into the wind and even if it gets pushed it just pops back up. Flatten a standard tent and it stays flat. :( The 2015 model design has seen added guy lines. I have seen someone commenting on how they got up one morning after a storm on a campsite to find chaos and collapsed tents around them but their Cinch was fine. I also use Delta Ground Anchors on main guys, they just dig in deeper under strain. The profile of the 3 Man is much lower so it will be more resistant to the wind.

I may ask Cinch what the folded diameters are. The weight of the 2, 3 and 4 man packages are 5, 7 and 9kg respectively. That presumably includes the included torch lanterns etc.

Here is a large Quechua shrugging it off in a wind tunnel. Not really the same design but shows how forgiving the integrated pop up style of support can be:

[video=youtube;Sj0__gYwxE0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj0__gYwxE0[/video]

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not meaning to rain on your parade but do they do a video of someone taking it down again? I used to hate taking pop=up tents down again after showing someone them, and I had plenty of practice at it. They can be a PITA for that.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Not meaning to rain on your parade but do they do a video of someone taking it down again? I used to hate taking pop=up tents down again after showing someone them, and I had plenty of practice at it. They can be a PITA for that.

[video=youtube;Cnb-aKJ0uLw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnb-aKJ0uLw[/video]

Just like that. ;)

That is darn faster and easier than a standard tent. A little practice and then it is like riding a bike.

It is the reveal that is my favourite:

"Good gracious it is 1am and you still haven't you put your tent up yet?"

Ziiiiiiip, WALLOP! "I have now" :D

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
OK that's easier than some. (Though wind would make it different.) But Well done that chap. Hope you have fun with it.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
[video=youtube;Cnb-aKJ0uLw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnb-aKJ0uLw[/video]

Just like that. ;)

That is darn faster and easier than a standard tent. A little practice and then it is like riding a bike.

It is the reveal that is my favourite:

"Good gracious it is 1am and you still haven't you put your tent up yet?"

Ziiiiiiip, WALLOP! "I have now" :D

I watched that one as I wanted to see the packed away size. Not bad at all, and thanks for your replies to my other points. I'm not a tent person, but that seems reasonably well designed. The one man tent wasn't mentioned on the link that I clicked on though.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've seen a quecha pitched side on to the wind in very high winds and it completely collapsed in on itself - I wouldn't have liked to be inside. However it did recover completely - which my tentpoles didn't the very next day. The hardest thing with these is always packing them away, I never get it right.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I watched that one as I wanted to see the packed away size. Not bad at all, and thanks for your replies to my other points. I'm not a tent person, but that seems reasonably well designed. The one man tent wasn't mentioned on the link that I clicked on though.

It is the French company Quechua that do a one man version of a pop up. It is a good bit of kit, compact and double skinned. It is a tight squeeze for me but does the job and it can strap to a rucksack satisfactorily.

Cinch only does 2, 3 and 4 man tents. I think a two entrance one man tent maybe a little OTT! :)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I've seen a quecha pitched side on to the wind in very high winds and it completely collapsed in on itself - I wouldn't have liked to be inside. However it did recover completely - which my tentpoles didn't the very next day. The hardest thing with these is always packing them away, I never get it right.

I'm hoping that the compact size of my one man Quechua and pitching it back to the wind will mean that I won't ever suffer that fate. I'm guessing it was one of the larger ones you saw side on as their profile will be bigger and sloppier but they don't have loads of extra guy points to stabilise it.

In reply to a wind stability question to Cinch the designer has said:

"The 2 and 3 man tents will stand up to high winds as they are lower in height. The 4 man is taller so there is more movement in higher winds. Each tent comes with 10 pegging points as opposed to the standard 4 and also 3 times as many guy line attachments standard pop ups, so you can really stabilise the tent in windier conditions.
Kind regards
Jake@Cinch!" (Comments section on Kickstarter)

I believe a lot of these pop up tents get left after the Glastonbury Festival due to people not knowing how to take them down. A hangover and lack of sleep probably don't help! :rolleyes:

Practice makes perfect, I'm pretty confident with them now, particularly with the new design of folding to the chest and then twist to a figure 8 before folding it over.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like that = a bear (grizz or black, take your pick) thrashes its way in one end,
you can dive out the other! Plan B for other tents is to make the back door with a knife.
The smell of capsicain Bear Spray here just means humans and food (all the same to them).

It doesn't look well shielded for a rainy/windy night.
I like the plan to spread a tarp/rainfly on the ground,
toss the tent underneath and get it up, dry.
Sure it's more of an effort but dry kit trumps wet.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I like that = a bear (grizz or black, take your pick) thrashes its way in one end,
you can dive out the other! Plan B for other tents is to make the back door with a knife.
The smell of capsicain Bear Spray here just means humans and food (all the same to them).

It doesn't look well shielded for a rainy/windy night.
I like the plan to spread a tarp/rainfly on the ground,
toss the tent underneath and get it up, dry.
Sure it's more of an effort but dry kit trumps wet.

Yep, the thing I love about these quick pop ups is they can be used straight away when it is wet, you get two entrances to play with and you don't have to worry about getting bear; thrashing, diving or otherwise! ;)

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Woohoo, the Cinch! Kickstarter is funded with 8 days to run.

I'm so looking forward to getting the 4 Man and modding it out.

It may get a hammock in one end and out of the other! It looks like I will have to Glamp at the Moot this year.

I tried publicising the Kickstarter campaign by doing auction and BIN listings on Ebay for the Cinch! Press Pack pdf file, delivered by email.

Much to my surprise people bid and bought them. They raised £96, 100% of which I have donated to Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital. Aren't people great? :D

I think you are going to see a lot more of this twin entrance design.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...mate-pop-up-tent-with-solar-pow?ref=discovery

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Definitely caught my eye this one. I'm pondering whether to pick up the 4 man one for family trips with the wife and my daughter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE