Cider Time Again

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
With the bounty of apples this year, no excuse for failure, so early start on Sunday saw us starting as we meant to go on...

Ian checking out the quality of last years (what there is of it)
apache010.jpg

Wellsy contemplating the scratting
apache002.jpg

the set up
apache001.jpg

Creating a fine pulp
apache008.jpg

Ollie displaying fine cheese making
apache006.jpg

A pressing engagement
apache011.jpg

Giving it some wellie
apache016.jpg

One down...One to go...
apache019.jpg

In total 110 gallons for the coming year (barring disasters...)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...ps...
that's one of two gallons of pear cider sitting on the press in the last shot...thought we'd diversify :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Makes my few hundred pints of beer look paltry!

Great to see Stovie - especially the proper barrels :)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Makes my few hundred pints of beer look paltry!

Great to see Stovie - especially the proper barrels :)

Cheers Red!

A few hundred aint too shabby...especially if you're drinking it yourself...:beerchug:

After the fiasco of earlier this year, we went to town to ensure the barrels were sound. Knocked the hoops off and filled the worm holes, then re-tightened the barrels. Don't want to re-live that experience again...

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Absolutely awesome setup Stovie :) Is it for personal/comunity consumption or do you sell as a small scall enterprise? Do you own the orchards or did you forage the apples/pears?

I have about 20 pints of cider on the go but from small acorns LOL.

Craeg

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Absolutely awesome setup Stovie :) Is it for personal/comunity consumption or do you sell as a small scall enterprise? Do you own the orchards or did you forage the apples/pears?

I have about 20 pints of cider on the go but from small acorns LOL.

Craeg

Hi Craeg
personal consumption/parties etc...Just a bit of fun really...and keeps the chancellor out the equation :D

We have access to as many apple trees as we like...in fact this year too many; can't make use of them all; a bumper yeald.

Good luck with yours, you'll soon be making more and more...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I did wonder if the disaster would cause additional care :)

Mine is for sharing too - much the same way - got new neighbours here - including one who has been picking me sloes from Naval bases where they are all fenced in :). They are a great crowd so a few winter parties are owed I suspect.....

Got to get the jerky machine running too.....I reckon they will enjoy some snacks with their beer (and the 10L of bullace vodka I have on the go. Blackberries are hopeless round here sadly - no blackberry brandy this year)

Cheers Red!

A few hundred aint too shabby...especially if you're drinking it yourself...:beerchug:

After the fiasco of earlier this year, we went to town to ensure the barrels were sound. Knocked the hoops off and filled the worm holes, then re-tightened the barrels. Don't want to re-live that experience again...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Is it single variety cider or several varieties of apple?

Many varieties, as it produces a better flavour, not having access to true cider apples. Single variety of anything other than cider apples tends to produce a fairly flavourless drink, but by varying the mix of cookers to eaters you get sharpness and sweetnes in the finished drink.

That said we're not that exact, and half the fun is the element of surprise. But so far we've produced some very palatable cider. And not that enamel stripping junk thats passed off as "scrumpy"...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
That time again...one barrel into smaller vessels (1 gallon johns)...Very pleased with this brew, complex tastes, a sharp initial palette, with a sweet after taste, and a background of oak from the barrel, with a slight natural effervescence.

and so it begins
ciderbottling.jpg

gallons of cider
ciderbottling02.jpg

Transferred the other barrel into the empty just created, as there is a worry about too much tannin leeching from the newer barrel...
ciderbottling03.jpg

Full and ready to be bunged down and left to age (possibly upto 2 years)
ciderbottling04.jpg

All good fun...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks brilliant :)

My new neighbours lad would adore that sight - he doesn't like much bar cider - and only "proper" cider then. If you were closer I'd trade you for a couple of demis for him - he's on his first tour in the sandpit right now flying rotary wings - a year older than my youngest - God I feel old :(

Enjoy mate - looks superb!

Red

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
so could you talk us through the process of cider making ?? Do you add any sugars?? yeast ?? Ive only done a home brew beer kit once before !! Do you have to keep it at room temperature to ferment ??? how long till its drinkable ?? cheers

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Looks brilliant :)

My new neighbours lad would adore that sight - he doesn't like much bar cider - and only "proper" cider then. If you were closer I'd trade you for a couple of demis for him - he's on his first tour in the sandpit right now flying rotary wings - a year older than my youngest - God I feel old :(

Enjoy mate - looks superb!

Red

Happy to put some in the post Red...but couldn't be sure of its safe arrival...get a pint or two of this inside ya and you'd soon stop feeling old...works wonders for me...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
so could you talk us through the process of cider making ?? Do you add any sugars?? yeast ?? Ive only done a home brew beer kit once before !! Do you have to keep it at room temperature to ferment ??? how long till its drinkable ?? cheers

Its very simple...collect apples, mash them into small bits, press, transfer juice to barrel, pour yourself a drink and wait until the fermentation stops...then bottle and drink. Along the way you can add sugar to increase the O.G. if you fancy. Depends on my mood at the time. Our barrels stay outside over winter, and ferment just fine, the first month sees most of the fermentation complete. straw over the barrels keeps them snug. Take a look at these links of previous years...
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47326&highlight=
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24375&highlight=

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Happy to put some in the post Red...but couldn't be sure of its safe arrival...get a pint or two of this inside ya and you'd soon stop feeling old...works wonders for me...

Thanks mate - but the postage would be horrendous I suspect!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE