Chysauster, visit the Iron Age

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
We will be making our annual visit to Chysauster through the August Bank Holiday (25-27th August) to do a bit of Living History
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/chysauster-ancient-village/
for our representation of what life might have been like in the past of this ancient village.

Corn grinding (we generally enslave a couple of children to work the quern), tools and weapons of the past with demos of timeless bushcrafty things like wild foods, nettle string-making and early hunting and fishing techniques with the biggest plastic lobster in captivity.

If you are in Cornwall see you there, free entry for English Heritage members.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Interesting :D Looks like a great way to spend some time :cool:
Thank you for the link :)

Is a fogou like our souterrains ?

cheers,
Toddy

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yes the fogou is like the souterrain and we have several in West Cornwall. As the Chysauster one is closed off probably the best one to actually go into is at Carn Euny which is quite near Chysauster. No custodian at carn Euny which is open all the time but the approach can be muddy.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/carn-euny-ancient-village/

In fact if in Cornwall complete the experience by seeing the Bronze Age, Ferriby, Boat being built at Falmouth Maritime Museum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22chM3wYrk0

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
Sounds great! Chysauster is an awesome place, for anybody that likes that sort of thing. Up there with anything in Wiltshire.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Had a decent time at Chysauster despite the ran and wind. Sunday wasn't bad but we weren't able to set up outside as usual but had to operate from a hut on site. Our minor crusade continued to get people to stop using plastic plant ties and to use nettle or similar fibres to tie their plants to stakes. Free, no plastic involved and they will decay away in time and are carbon neutral.

One very odd thing happened. Apparently some people walked through the rain and up the quarter mile track to the English Heritage shop and office. They asked if we were there doing the Living History event. On being told that we were and were up in the hut they then turned around and walked away back down the track without coming up to see us. Had they made a bet that we weren't?

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I'd have loved to come - will have to do it next year instead. I had a nasty accident and was in hospital for further surgery this time. I'm glad it went well in spite of the rain.

Weird about the folk that turned away???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE