Christmas Moot - 9/10th Dec 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I hope to be there on Sunday too. :)

Hey, Tony, um, :eek: I don't suppose you have any of the BCUK magazine back issues you would like to sell? :eek: I inadvertantly leant issue 3 before I read it and can't get it back :(

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Rotten s@ds. Sounds like this will be fun.

Why is it that you only ever get together when I'm summoned by elderly rellies?

Next time, maybe, hopefully, next time................

Jan 5, 2006
Cambridge
Tony
This sounds like being a great event. My car’s Head gasket has blown, so I need to sort that out.

Have a good Christmas every one.

Ps. If I can get a car for late Saturday or even Sunday, I will try and drop in. I don’t have to be at work until Monday evening.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Have a great time everyone, I'm not going to make it down for the moot :(

I've been struggling into work all week with the mother of all head colds - I don't think a night in a hammock would do me much good right now.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Yeh have a good time all! Like beamdune I would love to be there too, but unfortunatly I'll be sitting in oxford being grilled by mathematics professors.

micah

Oct 30, 2006
london
For those planning on travelling from London to Great Missenden, check the trains. I think that they are not running tomorrow to GM. You'll have to get a bus from Croxley or go into town and get the train to Princes Risborough from Marylebone.

Remember never to trust London transport!!1
Micah

Now that I am back home in Kent I want to extend my thanks to everybody that was at the Christmas Moot. It was a wonderful event so extra special thanks to all those that took the time and effort to organise this superb weekend :You_Rock_

I left home early on Friday morning and I'd arranged to me Jason Sears near his home. He kindly took me on a bimble to the woods that he uses and show me he leaf litter shelter - a fine piece of craftsmanship :notworthy Jason and I then went on for a bit of breakfast, where we loaded up with brew kit material and one or two sachets of tomato ketchup and the like ;)

On arrival at the site we were greeted by swyn - Thanks swyn for the guided tour and all your effort and time :D

I was then given a Master Class in tarp and hammock erection by Jason - cheers mate.

hammock_1.jpg

This weekend was my first time in a hammock and I am really very impressed. The BCUK underblanket was a doddle for a newbie to fit and get right - just bungees at the ends tensioned to the drip rings of the hammock then I adjusted the hammocks elastic tensioners which pulled the sides up and snug to the top of the hammock sides

hammock_2.jpg

Despite the slight cold the hammock, underblanket and the Nanok Endurance -10 inside Endurance 0 was toasty warm :D

I met some right dodgy characters, you know who you are: -

xmas_moot_1.jpg

xmas_moot_2.jpg

:You_Rock_

George - thanks for all you help and patience with the atlatl - I intend to make one for my son in the near future. :)

Ogri - thanks for the nip of rum, really warmed me up when mixed with excellent warm cider :D

Bardster - great to meet you and talk about knives and thanks for bringing your amazing collection.

I'm sure as the evening progresses I'll remember other folk to thank!

Jon Pickett - nice to meet you once again ;)

I would just like to say a final thank you to all the members that attended and everyone that I was able to speak to - you were all really pleasant, fun, down-to-earth folk and you all made my weekend a wonderful experience and I can't wait until the next event.

Cheers all,

Phil.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Here here Phil, it was a great weekend. As always, well organised and a definate big thanks to swyn, Tony and, well everybody.
One of these days i might even remember to pack my camera so i have some embaressing photos to show.
See you all at the next one
Leo

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Cracking weekend, thanks to everyone that arranged stuff, demonstrated stuff, made stuff, shot stuff, everything,

It was bloody cold mind - I soon realised that my ancient 3 season is pretty useless in the cold, even when I was fully clothed inside. My back was nice due to the underblanket, but my other half wasn't so good.

Had a great time though, met some great (and very knowledgeable) people. Plus Jason Sears. ;-)

Dear Santa,

Please bring me a new winter bag for Christmas.

Dommy.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Yeah top weekend!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved, particulary jason for much needed axe and fire tutorials, top man! Also cheers to bardster and ogri for the freebies. Oh, and thanks for Mr. Rimps for the lift. :You_Rock_

A lovely bunch of people, shame about the cold weather (dd hammock, no underblanket, and a crappy army surplus sleeping bag, :(). Looking forward to the summer one already!

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Have to agree with everyone who's written about the weekends bushmoot, absolutely superb as usual. A big thank you to Tony, and especially Swyn for sorting out a fantastic location.
It was great to meet such a great group of people again, and thanks to Weekend warrior? (Rich) for a most enjoyable wassail, very nice indeed! :You_Rock_
Looking forward to the next one soon, but if it's gonna be a cold one, I definately need an underblanket, or another sleeping bag in my Endurance 0 degree, it was nippy, even with all my kit on! :eek:

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Excellent first Moot for me too, great to meet you all :)

Exchanged some great stories around the camp fire with Gobbler, Mr Rimps & Buckley8219. Thanks guys, all enjoying their first Moot too.

Best quote came from Mr Rimps,
"Women are all right but you can't beat the real deal!"
Not sure what he was going on about but it made us laugh :lmao: I think he was quoting a chap he knew from his time in the Navy.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Huge thank you to Swyn and Tony for a great moot.

Some new faces to names and chance to meet with folks I haven't seen for a while.

Excellent site - Swyn obvious has put a lot of work into clearing, plumbing and ensuring we all had a great time.

David

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Thanks to Swyn and Tony and a whole bunch of neighbourly neighbours, i had a great time.
Good to meet you George and share your fire, very impressed with that spoon you made.
Rich59, very impressed with your hand drill technique, to actually see someone consistently produce a coal with minimum effort like that was great.
Also very interested in the atlati now after managing 28 meters. Such a simple weapon to produce although effective too.
Adrian, can't wait to see the finished result of that bowl, i hope you post up pics.
As usual i met so many nice people all willing to share and chat. Thankyou all.
Bilko

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE