Chopper refurb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
Found this old chopper/ bill hook. Its not in too bad of a condition, a little rust, no handle and in bad need of a sharpening. A friend liked it so i decided to clean it up and rehandle it.
dscf0673q.jpg

Started by turning a handle out of beech, friction burnt some decorative rings on to the handle.
dscf0674tx.jpg

Put a silver steel ferrule
dscf0678hn.jpg

here is the handle beside the chopper. I used a wire brush attachment on an angle grinder to clean the blade down. I can easily read the makers stamp which is "Brades co 195" and "14in"
dscf0679y.jpg

This is as far as I have got so far, so I will post up a completed view soon.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thats really good stuff!, Well done , nice to see you breathe some life back into it.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
Thanks for the comments.
I was thinking of either drilling a hole for the tang and then heating it up to burn it in to place or chiselling a slot for the tang and then hammer it home with some epoxy for good measure.
What do people think? Any advice welcome.
I will finish the handle with some linseed oil and if I am really enthusiastic i might even stitch a leather sheath

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Thanks for the comments.
I was thinking of either drilling a hole for the tang and then heating it up to burn it in to place or chiselling a slot for the tang and then hammer it home with some epoxy for good measure.
What do people think? Any advice welcome.
I will finish the handle with some linseed oil and if I am really enthusiastic i might even stitch a leather sheath

I think you've done an excellent job. I do have one thought though and it is by no means a criticism - but when using a billhook they do on occasion grip in the cut and can rotate in your hand quite violently and quickly - (Might just be me) - so I favour a slightly oval handle to help prevent this.

I'd suggest making the handle slightly oval.

But as I said this might just be me doing something wrong but other than that - great job! I look forward to the finished result.

Andy

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You could easily ovalise that handle with a bit of sanding. Nice work, anyway, and that's a nice looking hook. Is that what they call a Newton pattern?

I reckon that you should drill the handle out and use epoxy.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
I think on hind sight I would have to agree with you Everthing Mac, also I think oval-ish handle are better for absorbing shock. Not based on any scientific research, just my opinion.
You do see some round handled billhooks but not many. Do i remake a handle or not?!!! what to do?! what to do?!

To answer Mrcharly, I'm not sure what pattern it is but I think it might be a Knighton pattern, not sure really so if any body knows for certain I'd love to know.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I think on hind sight I would have to agree with you Everthing Mac, also I think oval-ish handle are better for absorbing shock. Not based on any scientific research, just my opinion.
You do see some round handled billhooks but not many. Do i remake a handle or not?!!! what to do?! what to do?!

To answer Mrcharly, I'm not sure what pattern it is but I think it might be a Knighton pattern, not sure really so if any body knows for certain I'd love to know.

I've got two hooks - one rounded and one oval. And depending on what you are doing the round handle is ok. But when you start clearing brush away and hacking a bit then the oval handle is superior.

It would be a shame to let all that work go to waste!

Andy

hedgesparrow

Oct 17, 2011
hampshire
the billhook you have is one of the best hooks you could buy made the traditional way smithing the hook. if you sharpen the blade use a wetstone not a angle or bench grinder it blues them and they lose there temper for keeping it sharp a good diamond wetstone you can get pocket ones keeps the blade sharp. i was at the national hedgelaying championships Saturday and hooks of this quality wher £50 plus to buy so look after it to find a hook of this quality is hard to find now at the right price

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE