Chop sticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
You know how children drive you mad playing a simple tune called Chop Sticks. Well I was wondering if chop sticks might be my first attempt at carving. You can eat with them and they look simple to make. If we were a Chinese or Japanese bushcraft site then we probably would already be making them and not worrying too much about spoons.

If a chop sticks carving thread catches on it could drive you experienced carvers made too!!!!!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Hmm, but are you going to make Chinese style chopsticks or Japanese style chopsticks?
I find the hashi jap style best for eating, but for rice the thicker chinese ones fit the bill. That's why I always order noodles, that and the fact tat noodles HAVE to be cooked fresh, unlike the rice which is either left on all evening, or warmed up from earlier. Strangely enough it is the rice in restaraunts that causes most dodgy guts.... but not in our restaraunt. Our chef is a proper one, and his dimsum is ace!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Yes i can see why chopsticks would be good for in the woods,but i gave up with them after taking 3 days to eat a tin of Heinz tomato soup :eek: :twak:

But seriously though they are easy to make and don't take as long to carve as a spoon.

leon-1

rich59 said:
You know how children drive you mad playing a simple tune called Chop Sticks. Well I was wondering if chop sticks might be my first attempt at carving. You can eat with them and they look simple to make. If we were a Chinese or Japanese bushcraft site then we probably would already be making them and not worrying too much about spoons.

If a chop sticks carving thread catches on it could drive you experienced carvers made too!!!!!

From what I recall even the chinese use spoons, so you aint gonna get out of carving spoons untill your hallway is littered with them that easily Rich:D

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Oh my goodness. There is a lot to chopsticks I see.

www.ichizen.com/chopsticks/chopsticks.htm
www.ichizen.com/chopsticks/chopsticks_2001_01.htm
www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Chopsticks.html
www.infoplease.com/spot/chopsticks1.html

I guess a bushcraft chopstick would mostly be wood (but maybe recycling aluminium to make one is possible) with an oiled finish. Or maybe bone or antler?

I guess it is choose a bit of wood and start working on it. All I have is an axe, a Swiss army knife and some sand paper to start with.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
rich59 said:
You can eat with them and they look simple to make. If we were a Chinese or Japanese bushcraft site then we probably would already be making them and not worrying too much about spoons.

They are a useful piece of bush kit too. I always carry a pair of bamboo Japanese style chopsticks and the Chinese style spoon which has a deeper bowl than a normal spoon.

The chopsticks are used for stirring, sampling, lifting billies off the fire, picking up hot coals, picking stray insects that fall into your tea. and stabbing meat pieces.

They have other uses too such as getting hold of small screws and nuts that fall into inaccessible places, such as bilges (I keep a pair in the boat tool kit as well);
immobilising and removing without harming venomous creatures like centipedes, scorpions and spiders and small snakes. You can also break them up and burn them if you have no available kindling or use them as a finger splint

The uses are only limited by our imagination

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I always new there were a lot of chopsticks but so so many I had no idea.
I guess what ever you use to eat on a regular basis has become such an easy thing to have decorated that there would be literally hundreds of thousands of variations.

Cool

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
So... a fine grained hardwood, non poisonous, that doesn't break easily? What have we got in the UK that fits the bill?

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
rich59 said:
So... a fine grained hardwood, non poisonous, that doesn't break easily? What have we got in the UK that fits the bill?

Box

You could use anything you like really though. Hawthorn springs to mind as well.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Is holly wood safe? Seem to remember something unsafe about the plant, or was that just the berries?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
There's not really any need for them to be durable - treat 'em as disposable and save on the washing up. ;) Take pretty much any non-poisonous stick of about the right diameter, remove bark, shape slightly - job done.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
could you not use some thin hazzel rods ?

i've got some that are arrow rejects i wonder what i will be making tonight:D

James

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I started a thread on this a long time ago, where I described banging out a pair of cherry chopsticks in a few seconds with an axe, because I couldn't be bothered to go all the way across the garden to the kitchen to get the barbecue tools ;)

Unfortunately, that thread seems to have disappeared. :confused:

I use my chopsticks in the kitchen just about every day for turning food and for stirring, more than for eating.

I agree with considering them as disposable, or rather recyclable as fuel.

K.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Holly IS poisonous when used in kitchen tools as is yew. Oh. another one not to use that I know off is elderberry, Unfortunatly I have loads of this out the back......

Fruit woods eg apple and cherry would be good to use. Beech and oak and the more obvious choices, Curly birch dyed to match your knife handle would be very nice though.

I might have a look around for something myself actually, I use them all the time in the kitchen but never took them away with me........It would make so much sense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE