What's stopping you... from carving (and other activities)?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Quick question, what knife/tools to use to try out carving? I might not like it so nothing expensive. I have a Mora, couple of opinels and SAKs. Also an oyo brothers folder. Which might be useable?

One opinel is ruined with its tip snapped off. I do not trust opinels after that. It failed doing nothing hard, simply cutting something , scoring iirc.

Is it worth getting a cheap carving knife?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The way it broke, I don't trust it. It broke too easily. Flaw in the material perhaps. It didn't take much.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What do you mean about different carving?

I guess opinels are thin blades with a good point, fine detail perhaps?

The oyo brothers folder is a thick blade, probably very strong for a folder, coarse carving?

SAKs well an EDC with a selection if blades and tools, an impromptu whittling while you're waiting?

Mora. Well a basic but solid knife. Bit of an all rounder?

What starter knife do you think I really should have? A crook knife or other shaped blade? Saw a £29 folding knife with multiple types of blades on out for carving. From heinnie Haynes iirc.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I had missed your mention of the oyo. I don't know that one. They're all knives and all cut so just give it a try and see what works for you. The most important thing to do is to actually get on and do.

You won't need a crook knife as you aren't making spoons.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Broken glass (edges) are great for wood carving. I've smashed bottles and greenhouse panes to get some really random useful shapes. I learned the technique from an old hill shepherd who used glass for shaping and finishing Crooks.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"Kitchen sharp" is far from "carving sharp" in both quality and probably the bevel angles.
Must learn to keep edges that way. Cheap steel can't sustain the needed edge.
Those blades just will not allow you to do what you see done by others.

Visit your local farrier. See if you can beg or buy a worn down crooked hoof-trimming knife.
Revise the bevel for a life-time of wood carving left in the blade.
Mora 171 & 172, Diamond 271, Ukal Supervet, Hall = brands like those.

New Hall knives cost me $50 each. I give the farrier $5 each for his discards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE