Anyone do any metal engraving or relief carving.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Looking for some guidance if there are any metal engravers or relief carvers on here.
When my father died I kept a lot of his tools for sentimental reasons, but recent developments at home mean that the ones I’ll never use need to go to someone who’ll use them.
There is a set of gravers which he used for silver work. I’ve never worked metal so I’ll never get around to using them but I don’t know much about them other than that they will be good quality ones.
Also a set of palm carving chisels. Far too small for me to use and again very good quality. Swiss, I think, if I’m reading the blade right.
Finally some Japanese carving hand chisels for woodcuts. Not the cheap Chinese ones from eBay, they look pretty decent quality.
If anyone knows about these things, or you fancy having a go, drop me a message. I’m looking for more information and possibly an idea of value.
Cheers, Simon

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Had all the tools been left to me:
I'd find a watch and jewelry repair person. Probably old, lets hope for an apprentice for the graver stuff.
Here in the Pacific Northwest, some First Nations carver would grab those for silver and gold work.

The palm tools labelled "Swiss Made." The real company logo will be an arrow stamped into the steel shanks.
That's Pfeil/Switzerland. Top of the line steel, a measure of quality in all wood carving tools.
Because of the results, I confess to strong brand loyalty, myself.

The Japanese tools? I can't judge at all. Compared with the other tools, likely #1 quality as well.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Thanks for the info.
I think you could be right about the arrow so maybe Pfeil. Not sure if they make gravers as well as chisels but they look almost identical.
My dad was a proper craftsman and did like to buy good tools. I’ll see if I can find someone locally who might like them.
Cheers, Simon

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
I do quite a bit of relief carving and use pfeil chisels. And the advice above is correct. What wood are the handles made from can also give away its quality. Some of mine use apple wood handles for example.
Pictures would help possibly. Good luck

Jim

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I do a little chasing work on metal but I've never had much success with engraving, it's a real skill.

Sounds like your father was a real craftsman.

He was. Proper old school. Would never have considered himself artistic but he produced some lovely things in silver, wood and wrought iron.
He taught metalwork and Tech Drawing for a living but made jewellery and did lots of woodwork in his spare time.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I found a few pieces of my Dad’s work to post up. There’s a wrought iron screen in my bar too, which I’ll add when I remember to photograph it.
Simon.

1BE1F630-74B6-4B58-AA83-91CD61E08E0C.jpegRestored silver cross for churchwarden’s wand.
3BD7BE33-835C-4072-A500-BB5262E18D4E.jpeg E2ACAA72-CC94-4416-8F63-E08DBF2AFBA2.jpeg Beaten Drinking Vessel in nickel silver.

8C48013B-066B-48F0-BDFF-4EC4BB51F2B6.jpeg 501C0D01-72D2-4945-882E-82EA630DAB0A.jpeg
A couple of woodcuts. The tools one is the printing block: Rose is a print.

2354B7A5-19C2-407E-A0D2-7B9F80F661F2.jpeg DE184550-7634-431D-9519-CBF271B180CE.jpeg Grandmother clock English oak. A8609403-7122-4A37-8093-19B3698F6CC6.jpeg Rams horn/hazel walking stick.

Reactions: Robson Valley

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I’ve had time now for a proper look at the tools. The woodblock/lino palm chisels are all Pfeill except one. That is also Swiss but I can’t quite read it. Makers mark is a fish so possibly Blanchard & Dixon.
The Japanese ones are of different qualities. The five cutter set is much better than the three piece one. They are very sharp and hold an edge well.
The metal gravers I think are German, by Müller and by Lyons and again good quality.
No one locally seems interested so I’ll put them up here for a while before EBay.
Certainly the Japanese ones would work well on leather so maybe one of our crafters would like them. We’ll see.
Cheers, Simon

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I’ve put them up on the marketplace.
I’m open to offers but the Pfeill chisels are already sold stc.
I might be up for an interesting swap though.
Cheers, S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE