Choosing a tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Good Morning all,
not been on here for some time. I need some advice.

I've very much fallen in love with tarp camping. I do a lot of long distance hikes and the tent slows me down. I suppose a DD Tarp is the way to go, but how durable and tolerant of abuse are they?

I like the idea of a lightweight canvas tarp, not dissimilar to what the polish poncho tent is made out of, but I cannot find either such a tarp or the material to sew my own.
Ordinary canvas tarps are just too heavy. But I like the idea of something a bit more ...erm...flame proof..

Any ideas?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've often thought about using a bed sheet or duvet cover [cut and opened out] as a tarp, treated with silicone sealant. I've just not got round to doing a test, I guess a charity shop would have bed linen pretty cheap.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
The great thing about the DD tarp (as well as its excellent build quality) is its weight - at about 850g it's pretty light for what is a big tarp for one person. I've used mine next to open fires many times with no problems. The downside of canvas is the weight - you are looking at three times the weight at least for the same area. And that's when its dry!
Hope this helps,
Phil

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Check out the tatonka tarp TC (technical cotton) for a more flameproof lightish option. Bilmo makes some nice canvas tarps also.

I've found DD to-be reasonable for the price however I'm not sold on their build quality, I've had tie out and seam stitching fail on me.

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I made my canvas tarp for less than £20. They're a great option but as has been outlined are a heavier option. Have a look in a local market or haberdashery (still can't believe that's actually a word just looks wrong) for cheap linen or cotton and I proofed mine with barbour reproofing wax. My first attempt was with candle wax. While it did the job that was unbelievably heavy and split easily. Blimo does indeed have a fine range of canvas tarps and I've been sorely tempted for some time

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Seeing that ThriftyKnight is a relative newcomer, it may be worth pointing out that bilmo-p5 is one of us and a great guy to deal with. He may be too modest to sing his own praises but many members like me are happy to do it for him. Try a PM.

If I'm not using a tent, I use a DD 3x3 myself, mainly because I bought it. I might try something smaller and lighter sometime when it wears out, but the DD is multi purpose.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Cheers all! I'll shoot Bilmo a message later.

It's hard to resist the urge to make onw's own (again) but having looked it up now, a DD Tarp would come out cheapr every single time. It's probably more reliable, too. I could make a tarp out of some polycotton drill for about the same price but I'm not sure how well it'll shed water once proofed. Has anyone ever tried?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cheers all! I'll shoot Bilmo a message later.

It's hard to resist the urge to make onw's own (again) but having looked it up now, a DD Tarp would come out cheapr every single time. It's probably more reliable, too. I could make a tarp out of some polycotton drill for about the same price but I'm not sure how well it'll shed water once proofed. Has anyone ever tried?

Is there any reason you're set on cotton for a tarp? Cheap PU sheds water brilliantly but I don't suppose has the same panache as a nicely made cotton one. Proofed cotton repels water great but if it gets the chance to look it'll find a way through

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Good point. To be honest, I have just come to distrust pu coated tarps a little. Use to own one and the coating just cracked and peeled off after a while. Gaffa tape fixes that, but eventually it all went a bit silly. I'd rather have something that I can re-proof as and when required.
I love the stuff my little polish army tent is made out of. It seems to work really well. But the tent itself is just bulky to pack and heavier than it needs to be...I don't mind carrying a bit of extra weight over a few days for that extra bit of luxury and coziness (in the mind) but there's limits...

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I actually use a £1.99 plastic cheap tarp now, simply because it serves my needs. Of I was going for more than a few nights I would probably take my canvas one. Any of the tent reproofing products will work great. And gaffa tape fixes everything! If it can't be fixed with gaffa tape, superglue and bathroom silicone, it cannot be fixed

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The Appkit tarps are good as well if you're after something lighter and more technical. I really like canvas but it's a heavy material, Tatonka's are good as well. There's lots of choice, if you can get a long to a meet somewhere it might be worth it to have a look at tarps and see if there's one that catches your imagination.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE