Belgian laavu ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
OK clever people…….I have a question.
A couple of years ago I was at an army surplus place and picked up a couple of capes which buttoned together a bit like the Polish laavu capes do.
At ghe Wilderness Gathering a chap asked me if they were the Belgian moon or something like that, I had no idea, but later research says yes they are.
soooo…….are they similar enough to the Polish laavu that the Spanish bushcraft mod would fit them and make a bigger tent ?
As ever, hugely appreciative of knowledge,
Bb

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’ve just dig out my two polish ponchos. I’d forgotten exactly how they went together and went on line. I was shocked to see a pair selling (well asking) for £150.

I can’t answer your question directly but I’d look at the fastenings. The polish one is completely buttoned. There are no zips at all involved. There seems to be someone selling an “extended” modified version of the polish one that has had a zip fitted.

If you’d like you can post or pm button spacings-say from left bottom seam working upwards and I can do the same.

There are three sizes of Polish poncho. You can tell by the number of brass eyelets 1,2 or 3 (for the peg). Two different size ponchos will go together if you always use the top one or matching ones.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
If the button spacing on the Polish and Belgian ponchos are the same, I see no reason not to be able to use the Spanish extention, sadly I doubt the button spacings will match. Saying that, it would not be beyond the skills of a good seamstress or tailor to make the alterations.
My size 2 with extention.IMG_20220204_161414.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Elsenham 177

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
That looks a simple enough mod.
I rarely use my Polish ponchos/lavvu because...well, because they aren't that good really, are they?
They certainly look the part though. And when I'm in the mood for that look out they come. But I'm always frustrated by the slight lack of size.
That extension looks a pretty simple job though.
Where'd you get suitably coloured canvas of the right weight? I know it doesn't need to be a spot on colour match but it would be nice to get as close as possible.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Ok:

My ponchos are size 1 so only have one eyelet below the buttons. If yours has more then measure from the top eyelet for comparison:-

Eyelet to first button hole 140 mm. (5 1/2”)

Then follow nine button holes 175mm (7”) apart.

Last (ninth) button hole to tip of poncho above the pole pocket 200mm (8”)
From last button hole to top off pole pocket (internal) is 165mm (6 1/2”)

Button holes are 25mm (1”) and are horizontal.
My conversions involve a very slight elasticity in my steel rule :) but nothing practically difficult.

Hope that helps.
It may be useful to others to record here whether grafting the different ponchos together is possible/ practical/ useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: grainweevil

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
That looks a simple enough mod.
I rarely use my Polish ponchos/lavvu because...well, because they aren't that good really, are they?
They certainly look the part though. And when I'm in the mood for that look out they come. But I'm always frustrated by the slight lack of size.
That extension looks a pretty simple job though.
Where'd you get suitably coloured canvas of the right weight? I know it doesn't need to be a spot on colour match but it would be nice to get as close as possible.
I got my extention from Bushcraft Spain, they make them specifically for the polish shelter halves.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
As ever that is really helpful. Away at present but when home will dig them out and do some measurin.
my thanks to all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE