Choosing a knew axe !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
im after a new axe. something that can do abit of everything. be it chopping splitting carving, which brand ive been looking at the wetterlings and the gransfors either looking for a 19'' ish handle any other brands out there ect i should be looking at ??

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Have a look at the wetterlings bushmans axe, even better if you can get your hands on one to try. Slightly longer handle than the GB SFA and slightly broader head makes it a decent small splitter, and the depth of the beard and the shortened poll allow you to choke right up for finer work, a great all rounder :)

Cheers, Paul

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
im after a new axe. something that can do abit of everything. be it chopping splitting carving, which brand ive been looking at the wetterlings and the gransfors either looking for a 19'' ish handle any other brands out there ect i should be looking at ??

Hultafors are definitely worth considering

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE

What did you go for in the end ?

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Plus one for the bushman.

We have a SFA, a Carpenter's and a Wildlife hatchet by GB and they are all superb in their own way. Whilst I am far from an expert, if I was only allowed one, I would choose my wetterlings bushman. It may not do 'fine' work as well as the SFA but it is a far better 'splitter' and general purpose axe imho. Of course, it's a tad heavier.

Hth.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I was a disappointed with the bushman even though I thought it would be an ideal year round companion. I found the following (IMO) drawbacks:

The head doesn't have the cutting power to match the size of the handle, although it splits well that's about all it does.
The GB Scandi knocks the socks off it when chopping and can split equally sized pieces of timber.
It doesn't carve as well as a GB SFA again due to the shape of the bit.

As many have stated on here the GB SFA is also a bit of a compromise but I think for the versatility its a better tool if I had to chose between the two.

I'm currently using a Council Tools Velvicut I was given as a present. It's a beautiful tool that performs very well, however most of the time its overkill so I carry the GB Outdoor axe which is also great.

I don't know how much axe experience you have but I think its really worth doing a training course. I did the Woodlander with Frontier Bushcraft last year which was really excellent and has helped me form better opinions on the axes I own and use.

Do you really need a brand new GB/Wetterlings/Hultafors? Carboot sales and eBay are chock full of good quantity vintage British tools that will perform just as well as a brand new premium axe.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
After trying around 50 axes over the last 6 years, i've come to the conclusion that there isn't an axe that I'm happy with. Too short, too long, too light, too heavy, bit too short, bit too long, not thick enough, too thick....etc etc..... going to have my own made to my own design. If i had done it sooner, i'd have save so much money!

All the standard axe manufacturers produce quality axes..... but quality and fit, are not the same thing!

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Absolutely. If it suits your needs in terms of size and weight, the Scandinavian Forest Axe will undoubtedly outperform a smaller axe in use. The bushman is a good 'compromise' axe. A Scandinavian will probably be my next purchase. Superb in use.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
After trying around 50 axes over the last 6 years, i've come to the conclusion that there isn't an axe that I'm happy with. Too short, too long, too light, too heavy, bit too short, bit too long, not thick enough, too thick....etc etc..... going to have my own made to my own design. If i had done it sooner, i'd have save so much money!

All the standard axe manufacturers produce quality axes..... but quality and fit, are not the same thing!

Now there's a dream- to have one commissioned to your own design. I've read lots of debate in here.

Should start a 'design your ideal axe' thread?

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
there are plenty of good axe heads around if you find and hang it yours self. i like something that is about 2 lb or 1 kg for a jack of all trades especially if im going to carry it a long way. you could sort your self out with an excellent classy old timey axe for probable not much more than £15. check out the US forest service film called an axe to grind that will give you a good start point on axes.

ian

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
How was the hercules axe Mandos, iiriwywho (if I recall it was you who had one). I have a hecules bow saw blade and habe found it brilliant, wondered what the rest of the tool line was like. They are "world wide tools" so I thought they may be a mixed bag.

You're not the first to think that way - which is why there are so many axe head designs in existence. I was lucky in that I got interested in axe design at a time when decent axe heads were available for good prices. I've had lots of fun getting to the bottom of what makes the best axe or hatchet for specific purposes. I've never come down to a single best axe because my purposes differ so much, but I've finally come down to a few that serve me well.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
How was the hercules axe Mandos, iiriwywho (if I recall it was you who had one). I have a hecules bow saw blade and habe found it brilliant, wondered what the rest of the tool line was like. They are "world wide tools" so I thought they may be a mixed bag.
Yes it was good for camp work the paint didnt last for long but didnt expect it to its good at small chopping and splitting and thats about it i think its a mixed bag when it comes to there tools as the quality control isnt all there ive had a few tools from them and some are good and others not to cracky

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

joshiecole

Apr 30, 2012
london
May I throw another option into the ring?

I like to buy vintage American axes from the large American auction site. Shipping is usually cheaper than you'd think and the prices are normally so low that they don't meet the minimum tax threshold.

Names to look out for are Kelly, Flint Edge, Plumb, Snow & Nealley, Walters, Emerson Stevens, King Axe and Tool Co (KATCO).

I've bought loads of axes from the US, and some of them have been no more than 20 quid shipped. Almost all of the sellers will ship to the UK now.

This is my favourite. It was a little more expensive because its one of the most collectible names, but really what's 60 quid in the grand scheme of things?!

IMG_20150702_2211351_zpsbaa0oat2.jpg

Another idea, makers like Dave Budd craft some absolutely beautiful axes based on various traditions from around the world.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
As others have said a good second hand/vintage head may be a good option. Not only can you make a project of restoring it but you can resharpen and reprofile to your liking. I have recently started modding some old abused axe heads and found you can reshape them fairly easily. Another big benefit is that you can make your own haft to suit your preference, you get to shape it to your hand size for a really comfortable fit. Just my two pence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE