Chimpanzees observed hunting with spears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I thought some people may find this interesting and/or worrying!

It has been reported in the journal Current Biology that Chimps in Senegal have been observed manufacturing spears and using them to hunt.
Chimpanzees have of course been observed all over the world using tools - in a total of 25 different contexts, however this is (With the exception of one adolescent female at Mahale, Tanzania observed using a branch to rouse a squirrel from a hollow branch) the first time tool-assisted hunting has been observed in any species except man.

One of the concluding paragraphs of the report may be of interest:
"The combination of hunting and tool use at Fongoli, behaviors long considered hallmarks of our own species, makes this population especially intriguing. The observation that individuals hunting with tools include females and immature chimpanzees suggests that we should rethink traditional explanations for the evolution of such behavior in our own lineage. Learning more about the unique behaviors of chimpanzees in such an environment, before they disappear, can provide important clues about the challenges facing our earliest ancestors."

http://www.current-biology.com/content/article/fulltext?uid=PIIS0960982207008019

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6387611.stm

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Blimey...interesting read. Cheers Marts.

apes.jpg
????

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'll have to ask my Brother-in-law when he gets back from Cameroon, where he has been looking after Chimps and Gorillas for the past 5 months, if he noticed any man like behaviour!

I know that chimps have been observed using sticks to catch ants to eat.

Interesting thread!!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
cool stuff.

These things always make me wonder if they've been doing it for ages and we haven't seen it, or whether they've just started doing it.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I saw it in the electronic New Scientist, and tried to explain to my colleagues that, compared to "trouble in the Middle East", "star enters rehab" and "local woman shows prized marrow", this was News. Blank looks.
Every barrier we put up to separate us from the animals gets knocked down. Sensation of pain, tool use, language, self-awareness, altruism; all that's left appears to be syntax and grammar (no doubt due to be recorded in Caledonian crows or humpbacks some time soon).

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Spot on there chance. I remember seeing a documentary featuring dolphins, and scientists had concluded that each dolphin had a unique call that they made when meeting other dolphins. They accompanied this whistle with a particular pattern of bubbles from their blowhole.

They found that not only did dolphins use this call to announce their arrival, but other dolphins would mimic a particular dolphins call and bubble pattern when they wanted to attract its attention.

Effectively what this means is that the Dolphins give themselves 'names', which they use to introduce themselves, and by which other Dolphins can attract their attention.

"Hey Geoff, there's some fish over here!"

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
Greg said:
I'll have to ask my Brother-in-law ............. if he noticed any man like behaviour!

what? like getting ****** on a Friday night and throwing up over the missus? ;)

I suspect most chimps would be horrified at the antics of some of our bretheren out on the lash at weekends. [especially around here]

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Chimps... with... spears?
I'm not going outside any more...

EDIT: A mate pointed out that you don't get chimps in scotland. I'm cool now :cool:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It makes me wonder if chimps can show evolution in thier behaviour can other primates de-evolve. For example on observing the behaviour of the Homo sapien var scroates, the hunting and gathering behaviour of homids has been reduced to females that go shopping/shoplifting and watch shopping on tv and males that watch simulated hunting behaviour in guise of football, and then pick fights on out come of the game. The entire subspecies seems to be maintianed by the females who hunt down males while in large packs at night, selecting mates on whether they are drunk enough to say yes.

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
I have heard from our biology teacher that chimps have been seen using walking sticks to help them through rivrs or in old age but this is a step further, just shows how intelligent they are really.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Don Redondo said:
what? like getting ****** on a Friday night and throwing up over the missus? ;)

I suspect most chimps would be horrified at the antics of some of our bretheren out on the lash at weekends. [especially around here]

Good One....:)
Funny you should say that though, during the war in Sierra Leone chimps were being used as armed guards by the militia gangs and it was reported that along with the militia men the chimps were high on pot or drunk on the local brew!!

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Greg said:
Good One....:)
Funny you should say that though, during the war in Sierra Leone chimps were being used as armed guards by the militia gangs and it was reported that along with the militia men the chimps were high on pot or drunk on the local brew!!

Somehow I can't picture a chimp standing gaurd holding an AK-47 in one hand and a beer in the other. Chimps are much to sophisticated for that. :lmao:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
madrussian said:
Somehow I can't picture a chimp standing gaurd holding an AK-47 in one hand and a beer in the other. Chimps are much to sophisticated for that. :lmao:

I guess you would have to ask the UN advisors who were captured by the rebels and buggered whilst young kids and chimps with AK-47s watched!:eek:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
madrussian said:
It can't be true. If it was, the US military would be training chimps right now for a tour in Iraq. :D

NO mate the US have already trained the chimps to fly there A10 Tankbusters, thats why they keep blowing up friendlies!!:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE