chimney questions

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Ok, I was wondering, how would you make a chimney for a small woodburner? I already have the main component, its just basically a metal box :) that i've cut a hole in and made into a door using hinges. How would I make the chimney (in the most basic way)? i.e without having to weld anything.

thanks

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Tin cans,Aluminium bottles,Hoover pipe things.....Have a look on scrap heaps but if you go for something galvanised you must burn off ALL the galvanisation outside before planning on using it inside and then paint it!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
how would you join the tin cans together? because obviously it would have to be more than one tin long. I was thinking of using cans as they are probably the most readily available.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
how would you join the tin cans together? because obviously it would have to be more than one tin long. I was thinking of using cans as they are probably the most readily available.

Just cut off the rim on one side of the can and crimp them and if you want after that you could rivet them with steel rivets because aluminium ones will melt!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
ok I think I know what you mean, but what exactly do you mean by crimping? is it where the bit i've cut off will be smaller than the original rim diameter so therefore will fit in tightly or something along those lines or am I completely wrong

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL this reminds me of when I was a kid and me and a friend made a sort of underground furnace kiln in a hilside, which was lined with bricks we got off a site, and we used a hollow steel section gate post as a chimney. I still distinctly remember we used fresh wet clay (essex!) to seal the chimney to the chamber. Once it was going it fair roared and the chimney was dull red at the base......Of course a chimney doesnt have to be round (our gate post was rectangular)
You didnt say if your woodburner is for inside use or outside, just an ocasional one off or for regular use. But basically it needs to be as airtight as possible except for the inlet that leads air up through the grate. The flue will get almost as hot as the firebox so it needs to be substantially made......aluminum just isnt good enough (ok for gas fire flues but not woodburners) And ldealy one piece rather than joined sections, although if it has to run a long way if your in a building this can pose problems. I used a continuous length of twin wall stainless steel (the best) to get around this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE