Cherry suitable for first knife handle?

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I've got a bit in the garden that's been there for donkey's years. I've seen how nice the grain is and am wondering how easy it would be to make a knife handle out of (considering that it's my first) - my other options are oak and two strange reddish and very hard-woods.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Just use your cheery. If you like it, use it. You don't need to ask others if it suitable, who is to say what is right or wrong.

But, after saying that cheery is a beautiful wood that has a lovely colour and grain and is used in cabinet making and flooring so i think cheery would make a stunning handle.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Wayland said:
Just a thought.

I was once told Oak is quite corrosive to steel. something to do with the tannin content I think.
That's true, if you look at a lot of oak furniture you'll notice that it is assembled with brass screws, I don't think it is so corrosive as to weaken steel much, but it causes the wood to disscolour around the nail/screw, so it looks unsightly.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Although I have never tried to make a knife handle out of cherry I have used it in joinery, I find it to be a hard dense wood that has a tendancy to split a bit.

Nice looking though.

And in carpentry and joinery it's reccommended that oak is fixed with either stainless or copper nails as it's quite acidic and will cause corrosion and then the oak will stain.

Not sure how much use that information is to anyone fixing handles onto a blade though and if you were to use spacers between the oak and the blade I assume it would negate it anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE