Cheeky Robin built a nest in my garlic

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
This Robin got into my shed through a hole and used the garlic I'm storing to build a nest in! I got quite a surprise when I saw it and had a good chuckle.

Guess I won't be eating or planting it for a few weeks.

robinnest01.jpg

The white and brown straw-like stuff is the garlic stems and you can just about make out the garlic bulbs. Vampires won't be bothering her chicks. LOL. :D

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Thats given me an idea for chicken bedding,....

chuck a lemon in there too and you have a living marinade,..

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
had Robins nesting in my shed a couple of years ago, kept a daily watch on the chicks untill the magpies got in and ate them !!

great piccy by the way :)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Here's a mobile phone shot of the eggs. I didn't mean to scare her off the nest, she was so well hidden I didn't see her until she flew past my head. Gave me a scare too.

robinnest02a.jpg

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Nice story! We found a nest in one of the sheds a couple of years ago - we'd hung up one of the kids' cycling helmets on a nail banged in to the wall, and next time we went to get the bikes out there was a robin's nest in it! Sadly we missed all the excitement - they had moved out when we found the nest.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well me Dad once had a hedgehog in his shed. kept going back to sleep in the day there. Amazing snoring. Surprisingly loud. Put my Dad to shame on the snoring decibels stakes.

They also had bluetit nesting in a tiny crack formed between the frame of the garage door and the stone of the house. Tiny crack indeed. You could just see into it and watch the bird sitting on the nest looking back. It was never bothered by us as pretty much nothing dangerous to it could get in.

They have plenty of life in their garden. Like the wren family that lived in the nicotinas in the border. You would see the hen bird going about its business while the youngsters would go out onto the lawn and play. Kind of hopped around each other kind of like young lambs do with each other. Quite entertianing they were all four of them (was five but things happen).

The robins have nested in their various buildings before now. They really like the ivy they had on one of the buildings. It was so thick that they could hide in there and it made them feel safer I think and we got to see a lot more of them. Lovely birds I think. Plenty of character.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
He he! Cheeky little fellow!
I one had a Jenny Wren build a nest where the leaf spring met the back axle on a Series 3 landy I was refurbishing. I couldn't go near the truck for weeks!

Dave

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
A former workshop of mine often had wrens nesting in there, normally in machines. One year she was in the pulley set of the pillar drill, luckily I say the bedding before i swithed it on! My fave was when she nested in the end of the cast iron lathe bed. I would be cutting/grinding with an angle grinder about 5 feet away and she would sit and watch me carefully, if I moved any closer then she flew to the other side of the workshop to watch from there :D

now I'm in the woods I don't get birds nesting (plenty of other natural nesting sites guess), but I do have issues with mice and rats tearing stuff apart for bedding!

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Update on the Robins. I'm pleased to say that all five eggs hatched and healthy chicks were born. Mummy and Daddy Robin were pestering me for food. I even got attacked by one of them when I took the pictures below; it flew at the back of my head and bit me.

These are mobile phone shots so the quality isn't the best.

IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

They went poo over everything and left a right mess in the shed, oh well never mind - I love cleaning bird droppings off my gear :p.

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Amazing pics , what a cracking wee robin family , welldone mate for giving them a save home ... brilliant
keep us updated

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE