Cheeky overnighter last friday pic heavyish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Good stuff Sam. The adirondack pitch is a good one in this soggy weather. The chorizo mit dog rod und cous cous cooked in the crusader looks sublime, I had similar to that minus the suet and used noodles instead of cous cous. Bet you were happy for that fast hot burn of the previously discarded pine trees! It's no fun struggling in the dark to get a fire going. Looks a grand evening out of doors, thanks for sharing.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
A think a better way to melt snow is to use a shemagh, cloth bag, pillow case or whatever to contain it and suspend it near the fire, allowing it absorb the heat and drip through the cloth and into a receptacle.
This filters any bits of debris you may have scooped up and also frees you up to do other things rather than constantly watching, stirring, adding snow bit by bit.

I've had to do this a few times when the water supply to the cabin had frozen up. I'd just collect a load of snow in a pillowcase, bring it indoors near the radiator and allow it to melt into a clean container.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Good post Sam. I know what you mean about slight panic brought on by difficult fire lighting. I was out in the snow last weekend and had a tough time getting my HoneyStove lit. I was trying to work only with foraged materials but the wet/cold/snow combo made it very difficult. In the end I had to get my tinderbox out for some instant gratification.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Thanks for sharing, I had a panic last weekend too when I forgot my fire starting kit, luckily found a lighter in my bag. Interested in the suet, do you use it in place of oil? I guess it keeps better and is dry am I thinking on the right lines

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Good on yer for getting out Sam, and thanks for sharing. Made me feel bivvi sick. Soon be weekend though and were off for 3 nights :thumbup:

Cheers

thanks Ron. I was all on my own for this one. made a nice change as usually I have friends with me.

chiseller sorry envy wasn't what I was aiming at....but I a. very jealous of 3 nights out!

Dave thanks it's a lovely wee permission. mix of blackthorn and ash predominantly with a little oak elderberry a d a crab Apple lurking within it. if it wasn't for the standing water which is always there and provides perfect habitat for little biting flying beasties it would be perfect.
oh and the little Herbert who keeps helping himself to my firewood.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE